Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Roman: The Tudors
Anybody watching this show? It's not "Rome", but I think it's not bad. It deals with the -young- Henry VIII, who is quite different from the fat old one we normally think of.

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is an interesting choice for lead, and I think he does a good job. He's not as tall as H8 was, but is very athletic which is correct, and plays him as both intelligent and impetuous, also correct (Henry got an excellent education because being H7's second son, he was supposed to become a clergyman). Sam Neill as wolsey is good, too.

I suppose there are the usual number of anachronisms. In Ep 2, Henry shoots off a flintlock, not to be invented for another 80 years or so. I don't know enough about the historical perioud to comment on clothes, armor, etc. They also say that got a male child from Lady Blount, and dallied with Mary Boleyn, Anne's sister, well before any of his heralded 'six wives'. Can anybody verify?

rkmvca/rich klein
I & my wife finish to watch all the first season like at 3:00 AM

I like it...like it!.. but its full of sex like Rome, dint like the death people apearing on scene, I dont like those unholly reapearances... but the serie is great...

Recomend to not search about accuracy or u miss the good of the show :wink:

PS: A question does it will have more Seasons?...the final episode ended up inconclusive :roll:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
I think I was just in Dublin Castle when they were filming it! Big Grin

I was temped to hit in the head some actor in order to steel his magnificient costume in some dark alley :twisted:

It was a kind of joust, in the back of Dublin Castle, between the tower and the library garden, and the name on the entrance was "The Tudors II" but I thought it was the same.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
I did try with the Tudors but just couldn't get on with it. Watched the first three episodes. I thought the ginger guy that died near the beginning would have made a better Henry.

I don't think it helps that I'm in a late medieval group which is pretty close to that period. I was watching thinking "she wouldnt have worn that" etc.

I found Rome much easier to watch (the humour helped) but that might be partly because of my lack of knowledge on Roman clothing/armour etc.

Gioi I think there is a second series this year.
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
I have been trying not to watch any kind of series....it seems like every time I find something I really like, they cancel the series. I am still bummed about only 2 seasons of Rome..
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
It was flimed in Wicklow and (i am not sure of this but the gear is 100 years ahead i.e 1600 not late 1400-1500
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua
Quote:It was flimed in Wicklow and (i am not sure of this but the gear is 100 years ahead i.e 1600 not late 1400-1500

Yup I am aware of that what with it being the Tudors and all lol I was just saying it's a period of time I know more about so far than Roman. My group does up to 1485 but familiar with slightly later periods too.
Kat x

Jonny myers is a cork lad 8)
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua
Quote: I thought the ginger guy that died near the beginning would have made a better Henry.

I was thinking the same way lol!... But ya know, they choose a model for atraction lol!... Also he is more popular for being in Alexander as Kassander. PS: My wife laugh when he repeated the Alexander line in Tudors, .....Be Reasonable!!! :lol:

Quote:Gioi I think there is a second series this year

Thank you after watching the last dvd & episode, I noticed that has previews of the second :wink:

But its possible a second Season, since the writers went into a strike? :?

Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:
Libitina:67c0vkl9 Wrote:I thought the ginger guy that died near the beginning would have made a better Henry.

I was thinking the same way lol!... But ya know, they choose a model for atraction lol!... Also he is more popular for being in Alexander as Kassander. PS: My wife laugh when he repeated the Alexander line in Tudors, .....Be Reasonable!!! :lol:

Quote:Gioi I think there is a second series this year

Thank you after watching the last dvd & episode, I noticed that has previews of the second :wink:

But its possible a second Season, since the writers went into a strike? :?

Maybe I'm unusual, I thought the ginger man was much better looking!! Big Grin

I'm not sure about the writers strike. Maybe it was written before that? Or is it Canadian and unaffected? Ah well, if I read any news I'll let you know.
Kat x

I have to wait until some Belgian channel will take over Sad
Patrick Van Calck
I watched 4 or 5 episodes and just couldn't get into it, and normally I enjoy watching a show or film in this time period. There's some decent acting here and there, especially with Sam Neil, and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was ok as King Henry ... I don't know, somehow if felt all hokey to me. :?

It is produced with the CBC so I don't think it's affected by the Hollywood writer's strike, but as far as I know CBC has not announced when the second season will air.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:Maybe I'm unusual, I thought the ginger man was much better looking!!

While some of the female characters bear some resemblance to the real people for instance Anne Boleyn and Catharine of Aragon none of the major male leads looked anything like their historical counterparts. Henry in particular was especially disappointing and Stephen Waddington 'Norfolk -the ginger man' physically would have been a much better choice , age wise too but obviously the producers were aiming at a younger audience.

I was quite impressed by Catherine's Spanish accent by the Irish actress but perhaps our Spanish RAT members might disagree!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:
Quote:Maybe I'm unusual, I thought the ginger man was much better looking!!

I was quite impressed by Catherine's Spanish accent by the Irish actress but perhaps our Spanish RAT members might disagree!

Graham.

No, this actress make a great efford!...I was very impressed by her, I understood everithing she sead clearly, I think she used a bit the spanish of the time 8) ... her air was awesome, a true lady & queen, a pitty for her long suffering, you just must love her. Smile

I've been living off of reruns of Rome Season 1. Sigh.

I did watch the full season of the Tudors. It was pretty good, but nothing beats my beloved Rome.

Tasia
++++++++++++++
Quinta Livia Anastasia
aka stace kelsey