Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
making an aspis
Thank you for the comments. Everyone tells me I should make one here and there and sell it. I don't think I would enjoy them as much if it were work. I also think it would be pretty hard to match a salary for an MBA/CPA with shield income. :wink: I do have a few more designs floating in my head and will probably make a couple more. Running out of wall space though. :roll:
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
Yeah....it's a hobby and should stay fun Chris. I agree with you.

Legion: TBD
Quote: Running out of wall space though. :roll:

Well, if you make another aspis, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people willing to display it for you!
Quote:Running out of wall space though.

...or you could get a bigger wall, you think? Hey, you deserve a bigger office anyway.

How deep is the dish on the Pegasus aspis?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Roughly 6 to 6 1/2 inches.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
I have an inquiry regarding the Aspis; When the layers are glued together (using that method) and the shield completed and used in **simulated** combat, does it stand up pretty well? Or do some people use other methods of joining the layers as well?
"Marcus Hortensius Castus"
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III
Those are great pieces of art/work! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
One the Sydney Ancients is now turming them out of pine. The member Mr D armstrong is also selling them commercially pic below.

If you send mail to me I pass on for any one interested.
Rear View
Wow! that must be one big lathe! How about pictures of the tool??

How much does one of the wood blanks weigh?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Do you know why Greek rabbits don't leave tracks?

Because they hoplite.

Heh.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
A friend pointed me to the lath construction of an aspis from Olynthos. I thought I'd share the relevant parts of the original article. Note the round object pictured next to the text is NOT the shield, but a basin from another article.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
:!: :!: :!: Have you got pics from the article?It mentions numbered figures in it.Made from crossed pieces of wood?Like the chigi vase?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:Have you got pics from the article?

Why, yes. I do Big Grin
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
And a close up of the rim. The fellow who brought this to my attention, who can identify himself should he wish, mentioned that the pattern on the rim harkens back to a woven pattern, suggesting perhaps that the anscestral shield was woven.
Paul M. Bardunias

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids) Chris B 112 60,783 10-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius