Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander the Great was antiquity\'s greatest commander
Quote:So, your point is to just discuss some arguments you do not agree with then, not to propose that someone else is more worthy of the title? Again, I disagree with many of your conclusions as you do with mine, but as regards the issue in question what is your opinion?

After a fashion, yes. I've never really seen the point in such comparisons as so many variables exist (shown in many posts above): it's a bit like comparing Kingston Town to Secretaiat (thoroughbreds) or different cricket elevens.

On the Philip / Alexander thing, Alexander certainly seemed to think he needed to outdo the "old man". The phalanx, in Babylon, also seemed to remember the old man with some affection: as they would considering the expansion of the landed population had taken them from serf to citizen.

I have to admit to a wry chuckle when watching the opening ceremony of the Athens' Olympics. As the heroic images of Alexander drifted accross the screen two things struck me: Demosthenes might have caused a quake rolling in his grave and that ithyphallic hymn to Demetrius. Athens is constant even 2300 years later!

Again, that's not a comment on modern politcs nor a judgement; it just tickled my eclectic sense of humour. My wife in no way understood...
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Messages In This Thread
re - by Johnny Shumate - 04-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Re: - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 10-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Re: - by Thunder - 10-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Re: Alexander the Great was antiquity\'s greatest commander - by Paralus - 11-17-2010, 01:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient synagogue mosaic may depict Alexander the Great Steven James 3 2,526 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix
  Massacre of Greeks under Alexander the Great foojer 10 5,003 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Who Killed Alexander the Great? D B Campbell 8 2,919 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Last Post: sitalkes