Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look!
It is very weak at the metal, just under the colette (where the tang meets the colette)... You can get better ones for less money. Live and learn eh, like I said, I bought one of these too once. The colettes should be seperate. An integral one is useless. Smile
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Yeah, a hard lesson! Still, will look good over the fireplace! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
FIX...

Get a hammer..
....knock off the collar or cut it and the tang off.
If the tang is welded on you can remove it by heating it to red and hammering the weld point over the edge of an anvil...
OR have a buddy use a hammer and sharpened brick chisel or a mortising chisel to cut the tang off.

Reshape the end into a tang.

1) it doesn't need to be precisely perfect
2) heat to red and shape a tang with a larger ball peen hammer, the broader end.. flip the tang end over to work each side evenly, between heatings...

You might even want to draw a tang shape on your anvil in order to compare your work to your desired shape.

MAKE A NEW COLLAR

Take a 1" (2.5cm) section of square tubing (or round) .. 3/4" or there abouts.... heat it red.. hold it with a needlenose pliers.. place the future collar over a small anvil's horn and hammer a few strokes at the end you want to cause to flare out, ... rotate/ hammer/rotate/hammer reheat often etc etc.. you'll end up with a flared collar... check for fit (with the pilum shaft inserted into the tang slot!). reheat and hammer as needed...

You can even reshape the wood pilum head to facilitate the fit!

The collar's fit should be snug. The collar should not slide all the way down.

You can set the collar with a wood block and hammer, or just a hammer.

Do this a few times and you'll learn to spend about 5 minutes shaping the tang and about 10 minutes fidgeting with the fit of the collar.

ORDATE!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Muchas Gracias, Hibernicus!

Will try these things, as it is going to be a while. Off to work on saturday!
5 days offshore in holland! They must think their paying me well! :roll: :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Republican pilum is born: pilum of Castellruf tiberius aemilius naso 7 3,240 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Robert