Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phalerae
What are the images or design on the phalerae of Cordvs. I have been at the website, but the pictures are not very clear.

THanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Does anyone have very good pics of the Sertorius Festus phalerae. I know of the photos in the RAT picture gallery. However, I was looking for closeup photos.

Has anyone ever discerned what the images on the Sertorius phalerae are?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hi Paolo,
Did you go to the imagebase on the main site? If you click the closeup of Festus' chest and then click it again so the popup shows, you can quite easily see a number of faces and a horse on the phalerae. I do have the original photos somewhere as well, which may be higher resolution again.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper

Thanks for the response and yes I checked the RAT images. Big Grin (

If you have closeups of them, please let me know how I can get them from you. Smile

Thanks

Paolo

Paolo
Quote:What are the images or design on the phalerae of Cordvs. I have been at the website, but the pictures are not very clear.

THanks

Paolo

There's only one CORDVS in the Imagebase and he wears no phalarae- do you mean someone other than PVBLIVS FLAVOLEIVS CORDVS?

As for Centurio QVINTVS SERTORIVS FESTVS' phalarae, regrettibly I've never been able to make out for certain what the two at his sides are either, although I do seem to see human faces- the one on the left perhaps being a right profile? Given the proportion of human faces amongst the phalarae from that beautiful silver set in the RGZM I think it is, that would be reasonable. Whatever the case, I don't think the detail is sufficient to really identify whom the faces belong to- I'm not even sure if those of the RGZM set have all been definitely identified, and they're extremely detailed pieces. Clearly some are gods and mythological figures- Medusa is obvious, but I don't know who exactly the cherub with the hat, the woman or the youth with the grape leaves in his hair are. The bearded man with the ram horns could be an easy one for those more aquainted with the various forms of the Graeco/Roman gods than I, but the others seem rather less distinguisable. FESTVS central phalera seems to have a laurel wreath surrounding it and one could possibly interpret there being wings atop the head thus the face being that of Medusa, although the one on the lower left could also be as it looks more like there are wings or horns there as well.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Matt,

Do you have pics of the RGZM phalerae you are referring to? I would be interested to see them..

I know that there are nine phalerae on Festus. The two top ones on the shoulders are eagles, the central and lower one are of a Medusa and horse respectively.

The other ones escape me, however you are right that many may not be obvious.

What I meant about identifcation is what do the images look like not necessarily who they are.

Thanks for the responses

Paolo

Paolo
Hi Paolo,

There are excellent photos of the RGZM phalarae (as well as a ton of other good stuff) here: [url:3ejkbghd]http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEquipment-Signum.html[/url]

As for FESTVS' phalarae, regrettibly the photos in the Imagebase are the best I've ever seen, so until someone goes to the museum where the stela is kept and takes some better ones for us, I guess we're out of luck. The two at his sides do, as I mentioned, look like male faces to me, but who knows what tricks the light and shadows are playing, eh?
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Thanks Matt for the website. I am aware of the RGZM phalarea except that I know them as the Lauresfort that is why I asked what are the RGZM phalarea.

Luckily, I do know someone who is going to Verona and will take up close and detailed pictures of the Festus phalarea. Big Grin When I get the photos I will post them.

Paolo

Paolo
Hi all,
just noticed the confusion my moniker created.
The name I use when in Roman guise is Pvblivs Flavoleius Cordvs.
Because long ago :wink: I got started in re-enactment due to my fascination
with slings. And Cordvs, according to some sources and heavily debated by others, has a sling in his hand on his tombstone. The name stuck and I have been using it for years now. I've actually met some people who thought my last name is Cordus, because everybody around addressed me as such.
Later I made an intrepetation of the uniform of Q. Sertorius Festus and (various other costumes) but the Cordvs name always went with it.
Sorry for the confusion
I'm quite curious for your pictures, Paolo, because while making making the Festus-costume I too spent quite some time studying his phalarae.
Wim/Cordvs
Pvblivs Cordvs
(Wim van Broekhoven)
CORBVLO
Guys, have you seen the pictures of this set (from Xanten)?:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Cordvs' phalerae:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 360#134360
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)