Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather Cuirass Lorica Musculata, I used to think no way but
Actually, come to think of it...looking at the pics on Travis's site, there is absolutely no distortion on the area of the "cuirass" where the person is bending at all!!!

Tells me right away it's purely artistic interpretation of something we probably will never know exactly. BUT, having said that, there isn't enough evidence there since even leather would show some kind of distortion, to say that type of statuary is showing anything but some idealized artistic body.

I notice how the sash seems to pull in on the leather...especially in this photo:

http://astro.temple.edu/~tlclark/lorica ... 4det4a.jpg

BUT...as I mentioned previously...a solid piece of leather would show distortions since it's being contracted...yet even given the remarkable detail, the leather is completely smooth all around the sash.

Given that...maybe it's made of spandex? :lol:

As for the "braid" pattern...that to me doesn't say anything...and doesn't really reflect on the material of the cuirass anyway. Rather it's a mystery of the fastening between the back and front plates. Also, if it's stitching...that would make it rather dificult to get in and out of if it's a cuirass. :wink:

I also don't agree with Travis's interpretation of the leather hinges. To me there is simply not enough evidence from an artistic rendition of a cuirass (especially the prima porta one) to conclusively say how it was attached on the side.

I think the bends in the armour and contours are entirely artistic licence...given that, who is to say the artisan's representation of anything that is actually functional is accurate? They don't seem to have a very good track record in other areas (helmets for example) of portraying items accurately when compared with actual finds from military sites and such.

I hope my post made sense...it's 4:24 am and I'm on my lunch and just about finished my last night shift at work lmao!

Legion: TBD

Messages In This Thread
leather armour. - by Graham Sumner - 04-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Re: leather armour. - by Dan Howard - 04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
MAIL - by Graham Sumner - 04-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Re: Leather Cuirass Lorica Musculata, I used to think no way but - by Magnus - 11-16-2007, 09:21 AM
Armour and Comfort - by Paullus Scipio - 11-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Muskelpanzer - by Paullus Scipio - 12-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Re: Muskelpanzer - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Caracalla\'s phalangites - by Paullus Scipio - 12-03-2007, 09:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Build a Leather Musculata M. Demetrius 4 1,632 06-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Agraes
  Major update by Travis Lee Clark Lorica Musculata Antonius Congianocus 6 4,230 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Alexandr K
  Making a leather covered quilted linen cuirass Quintilianus 26 7,232 11-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Last Post: TDawson