Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather Cuirass Lorica Musculata, I used to think no way but
Salve,

I am reading many interesting points however; with respect to the statements that the artist is using ‘artistic license’ due please note that these portraits, as the majority of Roman sculpture of living individuals, showed every wrinkle, every double chin, and every reseeding hair line. The sculptor didn’t use artistic license to make Vitellius ugly and extra fat, or wrinkles Pompey’s forehead, or make an older Caesar look more sickly… instead they strived to make the sculptures appear as real as possible.

[url:33dbty24]http://www.congiano.com/Extras/Recreation/Vitellius.jpg[/url]

[Image: Pompey%20the%20Great.gif]

[Image: Caesar.gif]

Dan: with respect… I do not believe the Emperors are wearing a costume as much as they are possibly not wearing their full battle armor. I agree that a lorica made of linen or leather would not be ideal in battle alone.

I still believe that when heading to battle, the Emperor would strap a belt and sword on, put a helmet on his head, and ware chainmaile… then like a Centurion’s belts and disks, he would place his lorica over the chainmaile.

Now, you may disagree but honestly… there is some progressive logic and historical basis in my opinion; but can I prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt… no.

The abridged and simple version is this…. Marius reformed the armies of Rome and the three disk armor disappeared and was replaced largely by chainmaile and chainmaile based armors.

1. The basic, most common was a chainmaile shirt
2. Progressively, chainmaile shoulder doublers were added
3. A Centurion wore a chainmaile shirt but added straps and disk décor
4. I read about examples of a Plumata’s plates woven into chainmaile
5. An Officer ‘could have’ worn chainmaile and slipped his lorica over it

A second, and I’m sure far more popular theory (which I also would agree is absolutely possible) is… the Emperors are wearing a lighter linen or leather lorica off the battle field, that is portrayed in the sculptures, and they would wear a lorica made from brass or bronze on the battle field.

Lastly, and perhaps most intriguing is… even though the amount of decorated loricas would be minimal (numbers of officers to legionary) not even a piece of a decorated lorica (as we see in sculptures) has ever been found. I guess that was the fuel that sparked Travis Lee Clark to begin his essay. [url:33dbty24]http://astro.temple.edu/~tlclark/lorica/bronze_leather.htm[/url]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]

Messages In This Thread
leather armour. - by Graham Sumner - 04-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Re: leather armour. - by Dan Howard - 04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
MAIL - by Graham Sumner - 04-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Re: Leather Cuirass Lorica Musculata, I used to think no way but - by AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs - 04-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Armour and Comfort - by Paullus Scipio - 11-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Muskelpanzer - by Paullus Scipio - 12-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Re: Muskelpanzer - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Caracalla\'s phalangites - by Paullus Scipio - 12-03-2007, 09:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Build a Leather Musculata M. Demetrius 4 1,729 06-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Agraes
  Major update by Travis Lee Clark Lorica Musculata Antonius Congianocus 6 4,318 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Alexandr K
  Making a leather covered quilted linen cuirass Quintilianus 26 7,347 11-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Last Post: TDawson