Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Spoils of Victory
Salve,

I have just received the above book from the National Museum of Denmark. Quite simply it is superb, with a broad range of items from arms and armour to civilian goods, and covers many of the finds in all of the major bog sites including Vimose, Thorsburg and Nydham. It isn't just a bean-counter's listing either, but puts the finds into a social, economic and chronological context with the rest of Northern Europe, as well as including a history of the excavations. Many of the finds are illustrated more than once from different angles, and there are a number of excellent colour photographs. There are over 430 pages.

My only quibble is the lack of an index and of proper cross-referencing of the same item in different parts of the book - very small points when you consider everything else.

All this for just 38DKK (£4) + P&P.

Jonna Hoerning at the Museum was extremely helpful, and speaks excellent English.

Vale,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
How did you order it from them?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert wrote:

Quote:How did you order it from them?

Hi Robert

I ordered my copy from Oxbow books a couple of years ago. It is certainly worthwhile getting.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Salve,

I ordered mine direct from the Danish National Museum. Oxbow ran out years ago.

Celer.
It arrived half an hour ago. It SO GREAT, it can't stop drooling.

No seriously, I can't, really, I have to protect the book, it's so BL.. great. Big Grin
I love well-writted catalogues to begin with, and this is just one good article after another, with image after image after image.....

Julian, thank you once more for this brilliant tipoff!!!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Got mine, too, in the meantime and can only confirm what Robert says :-) )

In fact, I ordered two copies (shipping is the expensive part in this case as the catalog only costs 5.- euros now) - if anyone, especially within Germany, should be interested in the other copy, please contact me.
Martin, I have sent you a PM...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
any other info on this book? i can not seem to find it online anywheres from a title search
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Salve,

The only existing source for this book that I could find was with the National Museum in Denmark.

Vale,

Celer.
The Spoils of Victory: The North in the Shadow of the Roman Empire. National Museum of Denmark, 2003. ISBN 87-7602-006-1.

But it's not to be found with regular booksellers as it seems to be out of print. Only the Danish nationalmuseum seems to have a stash.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Spoils of Victory- the North in the shadow of the Roman Caballo 13 3,810 06-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs