Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea sponge helmet linings
The Med variety we have TODAY is as you describe. We have no idea whether Romans had access to a variety of sponge that had been harvested to extinction. My point is that we need to find a sponge that the conforms to Aristotle's description. His adjectives "thin, dense, and firm" are exactly the phrases that would be used to describe the twined linen greave liner found at Dura Europos so looking for a sponge that is soft, thick, and pliable is not consistent with the data we have available.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
The probability of a sea sponge variety going extinct due to over-fishing (or to be correct 'over-sponging') is not a realistic possibility. Sea sponges actually prosper and increase in numbers in areas that are harvested as the piece left behind on the substrate grows back to a harvestable size in only a few years (typically 4-7 depending on the species). Also, small pieces that detach from the sponge during the cutting or hooking process can float and attach themselves to another spot and grow into more full sized sponges.

it is an interesting phenomena and there are at least a couple of studies that have measured this.

What is possible though, and with human caused pollution there are increasing numbers of these incidences, there are diseases and algae blooms that can wipe out entire areas of sponges. Famously in 1937-1938 a microscopic fungus disease attacked and wiped out more than 80% of the commercially viable sea sponges in the Bahamas, Key West and the Gulf of Mexico. The velvet sponge was one of the most common sponges before this epidemic and till this day appears to have gone extinct in most areas, though rumor has it that there are still some around Cuba.

So this is possible, but I would still bet that the sea sponge Aristotle writes about has to be either the Mediterranean Elephant Ear, the Mediterranean Silk or possibly both as they are very similar and a layman would have a hard time telling them apart. Both of these sponge fit the description perfectly and even though the silk variety is somewhat thicker, it can very easily be trimmed to the proper shape to act as a buffer between metal armor and cloth / human skin.

If it would further your book / studies, PM me with your address, be happy to drop a couple of samples in the mail for you...I hope I can find the EE though, but if not my partner is currently visiting his home in Calymnos and he could hand carry a few pieces back from the island.
Thank you for the edification and the generous offer. I agree that the Med elephant ear or Med silk are the most likely contenders.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman helmet linings? Len Campey 1 855 08-21-2018, 01:19 AM
Last Post: torongill
  Helmet linings: To cheat or not to cheat jkaler48 1 1,124 10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Last Post: agrimensor