Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea sponge helmet linings
I came across a passage that reads as follows:

Quote:OCREA (κνημίς), a greave, a leggin. A pair of greaves (κνημῖδες) was one of the six articles of armour which formed the complete equipment of a Greek or Etruscan warrior [Arma], and likewise of a Roman soldier as fixed by Servius Tullius (Liv. I.43). They were made of bronze (Alcaeus, Frag. i ed. Matthiae), of brass (Hes. Scut. 122), of tin (Hom. Il. XVIII.612, XXI.592), or of silver and gold (Virg. Aen. VII.634, VIII.624, XI.488), with a lining probably of leather, felt, or cloth. Another method of fitting them to the leg so as not to hurt it, was by the interposition of that kind of sponge which was also used for the lining of helmets [Galea], and which Aristotle describes as being remarkable for thinness, density, and firmness. "
William Smith, D.C.L., LL.D.:
A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities, John Murray, London, 1875.

Any clues as to which species of sea sponge would be best?

Some candidates I've come across: Sea wool; Elephant ear; Mediterranean Zimoca Silk.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Polyurethanus densicus works ok, too.

(don't kill me) :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I can't believe I almost Googled it :roll: Big Grin

Problem with that is it's not likely to soak up sweat. It's not just impact resistance I'm interested in.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi all,
I use a felt phrygian cap with a lump of wool in the "nose-cone" that works wonderful in my helmet. Until the lump of wool turns to felt by the damp and friction then it needs replacing.
I just had an epiphany (which is basically an idea but just sounds better) to put a bit of natural sponge in it.
I'll keep you posted on the effect.
Now I have to be careful not to take the spongy bit I've used on my toilet-stick....
Cheers,
Wim / Cordvs
Pvblivs Cordvs
(Wim van Broekhoven)
CORBVLO
And of course, as Cordvs indicated - once you take off the helmet you can remove the liner, put it on a stick and wipe your A*** with it!! Big Grin
And then you can take it off the stick and put it back in.... :twisted:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
{Probably won't need to use any glue either! How economical! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Aren't most sponges kind of scratchy? Wouldn't that be uncomfortable under your helmet, or nose guard? What about cheek pieces?

Legion: TBD
Quote:Aren't most sponges kind of scratchy? Wouldn't that be uncomfortable under your helmet, or nose guard? What about cheek pieces?
Maybe that's why the quote specifies the special type of sponge soldiers use for lining. Perhaps it's one that stays soft?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I'm actually going to test this.
Put in the cone of my Phrygian cap it shouldn't scratch but who knows.
The one thing I am definetly NOT to going to test is putting it back after it is being used on the stick. No matter how soft that would make it !
Keep you posted on the results.
Cheers, Wim / Cordvs
Pvblivs Cordvs
(Wim van Broekhoven)
CORBVLO
Makes you wonder what kind of sponge was on their sponge sticks too...I'd want something soft. :wink:

Never mind soft. I'd want my OWN sponge.
I wonder how those were carried in a soldier's kit bag? They didn't have ziplock baggies, y'know.

If elephant ear sponge is reasonably thin and flat as the name implies, I can see how a liner could be made pretty easily, and fitted into a cloth double cap, more or less like any other arming cap padding. Hmm.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yeah but still...that would stink like s**t. Not to mention the possibility of spreading disease...did they somehow disinfect them?

Quote:Yeah but still...that would stink like s**t. Not to mention the possibility of spreading disease...did they somehow disinfect them?

Matt from what I understand they were left sitting in running water in front of the toliets. I personally do not think it was common for soldiers to carry a sponge stick to wipe their nether region while on the march.

This conversation can get really "sh!$$y" if you get my drift.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
So they didn't really use them out in the field then?

Jesus, who'd want to use someone else's s**t stick?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman helmet linings? Len Campey 1 865 08-21-2018, 01:19 AM
Last Post: torongill
  Helmet linings: To cheat or not to cheat jkaler48 1 1,154 10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Last Post: agrimensor