Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what was the function of the Roman cavalry?
Coming very late to this thread- a quick skim read doesn't mention the use of cavalry as mounted infantry (a bit like the Napoleonic dragoons).

From Frontinus, Strategemata Book 3, 23.
"The Emperor Caesar Augustus Germanicus, when the Chatti, by fleeing into the forests, again and again interfered with the course of a cavalry engagement, commanded his men, as soon as they should reach the enemy's baggage-train, to dismount and fight on foot. By this means he made sure that his success should not be blocked by any difficulties of terrain."

"Imperator Caesar Augustus Germanicus, cum subinde Chatti equestre proelium in silvas refugiendo deducerent, iussit suos equites, simulatque ad impedita ventum esset, equis desilire pedestrique pugna confligere; quo genere consecutus, ne quis iam locus victoriam eius moraretur."

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:I am not a horseman, but I am curious about the idea of putting two men on a horse for long distance travel. I can understand doing this for a short period of time, but I would think that burdening the horse for a long period could injure the animal. :?
It's possible that the passengers would march on foot for the most part, and be on the horses for battle, I would have thought.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I am not a horseman, but I am curious about the idea of putting two men on a horse for long distance travel. I can understand doing this for a short period of time, but I would think that burdening the horse for a long period could injure the animal.

The second rider woudl have to sit over the loins (area behind the saddle) a very tender area.
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)