Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antonine Wall to be given World Heritage status?
I read an article in one of the broadsheets a few weeks ago, which was about the possibility of the wall being given, I think, World Heritage status.
This would be good for Scotland, which does not often promote its Roman past, and for Roman history in general...

Anyone know any more about this?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I read something here: antoninuspius.blogspot.com/
** Vincula/Lucy **
Quote:I read an article in one of the broadsheets a few weeks ago, which was about the possibility of the wall being given, I think, World Heritage status.
This would be good for Scotland, which does not often promote its Roman past, and for Roman history in general...

Anyone know any more about this?

More here.

It is part of a scheme to make all Roman frontiers part of a sort of mega-WHS.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks for the links Vincula, and Mike!

That sounds great! I see one day all the frontiers rebuilt, waiting for legions of reenactors to man the ramparts.........oops sorry must have nodded off there! I guess I should make the effort to see a bit of it, now that I have seen some of Hadrians wall, after all these years!

Been trying to locate Normandykes out by Petercoulter for a while now, but the maps are quite imprecise, and the locals not too helpful or knowledgeable! :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Been trying to locate Normandykes out by Petercoulter for a while now, but the maps are quite imprecise, and the locals not too helpful or knowledgeable! :roll:

Take the minor road south-east out of Peterculter (at the crossroads opposite the B979 from Westhill) towards Coalford and about 0.5km from the turn is a lane on the left, next to a small plantation. The lane crosses an old railway line (lined with a fence of vertical railway sleepers). Park up here and continue into the next field to the south, going round the edge towards the mobile phone mast next to a big plantation. The plantation sits on part of the camp and the northern rampart and ditch are clearly visible at the edge of the woodland, which you can access at the north-east corner behind the mast. You'll have to negotiate a small burn in the process, but hey, you have to suffer for your art ;-). To give you your bearings, the mast is at NO834997 on OS Landranger 38 (Aberdeen). Watch for the partially concealed rabbit holes as you go along the edge of the field - the last thing you want is a broken ankle!

Mike Bishop

Thanks Mike, that may help narrow it down.........now where is my map.... :? )
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Thanks Mike, that may help narrow it down.........now where is my map.... :? Smile

Well, you don't even need a paper map (although advisable) 'cos you can get an aerial view on Google Maps - the five sided wood at the bottom centre is the one I'm talking about. The phone mast even casts a shadow;-)

Mike Bishop

So I was right in thinking it is south of the old railwayline! People were trying to point me back to the north side! I was almost there when I stopped at the Golfclub! :? Typical!!!

Not much to see is there! I take it most of it is in the plantation area?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Not much to see is there! I take it most of it is in the plantation area?

Heck, this is Roman Britain - what do you want: herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains? ;-)

No, Raedykes is much more spectacular, but years of The Good Dr Coulston dragging me to stange places to look at low mounds that are supposedly significant (one of my favourites was a Gask Ridge tower in the middle of a forest; it was a particularly lumpy forest...) have conditioned me into a sort of pavlovian response whenever I am near a bit of Roman Britain that needs 'doing'. Such visits always engender the classic Coulstonian dry responses of 'it'll be nice when it's finished' and 'tick!' and I now find myself doing that too...

Mike Bishop

:lol: :lol:
How about a cohort of legionairies and freshly dug ditch and palisade? 8)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:(one of my favourites was a Gask Ridge tower in the middle of a forest; it was a particularly lumpy forest...)
Muir O'Fauld, perchance?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
mcbishop:3eff440l Wrote:(one of my favourites was a Gask Ridge tower in the middle of a forest; it was a particularly lumpy forest...)

Muir O'Fauld, perchance?

No, nothing as simple as that; it was Witch Knowe I think, but I'd ceased caring by then.

Mike Bishop

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antonine Wall Eleatic Guest 2 1,062 04-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall MonsGraupius 66 7,884 09-15-2018, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Antonine Wall colours on sculptures Densus 1 1,008 04-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell