Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attic Helmet assistance, Louvre photos, and modifications
Quote:This was the best I could find but it's still a bit blurry

Sorry Marivs, I promise to take fewer blurry pics in the future :wink:

Okay, here's a nice, big detailed version of the same relief. Now, someone, look me in the eye and tell me this is a figment of some clever artist's imagination :roll:

It looks like there's stitching along the edges of both the cheek piece and the 'visor'.

Quote:please let me know what is on the cheek guard

Ah,yes, it's the ubiquitous 'winged lightning bolts' emblem that can be found on many reenactors' shields. You can buy these in brass from Terry Nix for your helmet.

This one and this one are from the more famous relief showing five 'Praetorians'.

Based on the relief Peter Connolly, one of the few artists who've ventured to draw an attic helmet, came up with this.

Quote:I'm sure Theodosius here on RAT will be able to offer you some very good advice. He knows a lot about this subject.

Thank you for saying so (:oops: ), but I really don't. I just don't dismiss the helmet as being artistic license.

Quote:modifying the Deepeeka Attic Greek helmet… I just purchased it online

I think the bowl is far too domed shaped. Imo, you need a helmet with a flatter curve, like the ones seen in the photo links.

For decorating the 'visor' you should go for an acanthus motif. Google the word to see some examples.

Best of luck.

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Re: Attic Helmet assistance, Louvre photos, and modifications - by Theodosius the Great - 03-28-2007, 11:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Photos of the Berkasovo helmet needed! Virilis 10 3,161 01-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  Photos of Bekrasovo 2 helmet needed Thorkil 6 2,061 09-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Thorkil
  Making a Roman Attic Helmet from a Corinthian helm AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 46 11,892 08-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Last Post: AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs