Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attic Helmet assistance, Louvre photos, and modifications
Antonivs,

I always have the same problem with the ear opennings - they're too far forward ! My head size is 23 1/2 inches so the helmets are usually perfect for me (and I'm not tall :oops: )

But I wonder how common the problem with the ears is. I should take a poll.

Sorry to hear you got a small helmet. Maybe you can exchange it for a bigger one ?

Btw, I sent you a PM.

~Theo
Jaime
I have that problem with all my helmets! My ears are folded forward!
Thought it was only me. And the gaps are a fair size from tops of ear to apex of ear cutouts! Sad
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:My new Deepeeka Attic Greek is beyond skin tight on me
that's funny, mine fits like a bucket...
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:
Quote:My new Deepeeka Attic Greek is beyond skin tight on me
that's funny, mine fits like a bucket...
Maybe you guys should do a swap?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Salve Danno

What is the circumference of your head? It might just be our heads are rather different.

If my head was 22â€
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Problems with my new Deepeeka Pugio here:
[url:21th2vzp]http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=129802#129802[/url]
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

I'd send it back...that's unacceptable.

Legion: TBD
Guys, please continue more complaints discussion in the Deepeeka marketplace section. Thanks.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
From ear to ear it is exactly 7" in width, and due to the stylized indentation the length from front to back inside the helmet is only 8 1/2" (far smaller than the average Deepeeka helmet)

[Image: aIMG_3603.jpg]

Antonivs[/quote]
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Alright... you can't say I didn't try! But, this helmet is unfortunately too small. Even after cutting back the cheek guards and the top brow of the helmet and beating the daylights out of the indents, it's still pressing into my skull. Although making this into a Roman Attic is do-able, it won't fit me so, I'll place it on the side for now. I'll most likely complete it later and sell it to someone a wee bit shorter than I.

[Image: aIMG_3622.jpg]

[Image: aIMG_3624.jpg]

Anyways... I'm now either going to have to spend the money on an attic from NIX (over $500) or I might take a shot at an 18g steel Corinthian helmet, they are 7 1/2 from ear to ear and 9" from front to back, which I know will fit my head. I'm rather confident I can cut a Roman Attic out of something like this (below) although I'll have to fabricate the cheek guards, crest, and visor.

[Image: vh005d.jpg]
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Well my new Corinthian helmet fits well, 18 gauge steel for $39 US Dollars wasn't bad at all... I think it's time to get ready to cut it up into a Roman Attic Helmet!

[Image: Chelmet.jpg]
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

In Robinsons "Armour Of Imperial Rome" there is an example of an Attic Brow Plate.(plates 417-20).
He reports that it is from the early 2nd century. Its design is of laurel(?) leaves and embossed dots and 3 small busts. (does anyone have a scan of it??)

How frustrating to have such difficulty with the helmet size!
Is that a dremmel attachmemt you are cutting with?
I had never thought of trying to buy plate brass on ebay!Thankyou for the idea
and good luck with your repro!

Regardz
Miles Minimus
aka Richard r
Quote:In Robinsons "Armour Of Imperial Rome" there is an example of an Attic Brow Plate.(plates 417-20).
He reports that it is from the early 2nd century. Its design is of laurel(?) leaves and embossed dots and 3 small busts. (does anyone have a scan of it??)

Yes. This fragment was referenced, shown, and discussed here on this thread. See the very first post for a picture of it.

~Theo
Jaime
It was a good try Anthony.
I would have trimmed the fore plate further or heated it and tried to beat it out and then masked the whole thing with a brow plate/ Big Grin

Good luck with mk 11 :o

Thankyou for the link Theo, interesting yarn........

I guess i was also trying to infer that the embossed dots are my interpretation of the holes on the Louvre relief.........

Thanks again

MM
aka

here is my "parade helmet version" it didnt turn out the way i wanted :oops: and is not supposed to be Roman specific. I am currently experimenting with different coloured metals in one cassis. I will remove the silver plating as i dont think that it works.
RR
Quote:Well my new Corinthian helmet fits well, 18 gauge steel for $39 US Dollars wasn't bad at all... I think it's time to get ready to cut it up into a Roman Attic Helmet!

[Image: Chelmet.jpg]

That's a good idea (I have one of those Corinthians as well). Will you be using the cheeks for hinged cheekplates? They have enough area to make a good shape and coverage.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Photos of the Berkasovo helmet needed! Virilis 10 3,100 01-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  Photos of Bekrasovo 2 helmet needed Thorkil 6 1,975 09-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Thorkil
  Making a Roman Attic Helmet from a Corinthian helm AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 46 11,718 08-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Last Post: AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs