Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translations of Xenophon
Hi all,

I'm currently looking to read Xenophon's Hellenica and Anabasis. However, I'd like to know if any members of RAT have a preferred translation? As I'm currently in the process of learning Ancient Greek, I'm not ready to tackle the actual Greek text, but if anyone can suggest one of those, that'd be great too. I'd like an English translation that keeps as close to the Greek as possible. Also, are there any books written on Xenophon himself, or any of the battles he took part in?

Additionally, does anyone have a link that could give me some background information on Xenophon? I'm afraid what I've read hasn't been that detailed. I see his name pop up everywhere so I'm assuming that he would be an appropriate read for someone interested in Greek military history.

Thanks!
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
Good decision to read Xenophon.I don't know good translation in English but as long as you're starting learning ancient Greek then find a book that has the original text in one page and the translation next to it.
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I came across this by chance while down in Coventry last month.

Xenophon The Expedition of Cyrus, a new translation by Robin Waterfield.

This is the first one I have come across, as usually my enquiries come up blank here in Aberdeen.

It tells the story of the march of the ten thousand, which is what I understand to be the story of the Anabasis.

It is published through Oxford World's Classics/Oxford University Press.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Xenophon is one of the most accessible ancient authors. His Greek is fairly straight forward, so he is an excellent choice for someone new to Ancient Greek.

As for an English translations, I doubt you will find one that will distort the language like translations of Homer can, but since you are learning Greek I would get a Loeb version. Greek on the left, English on the right.

http://www.amazon.com/Anabasis-Loeb-Cla ... 067499101X

The English translation was actually updated in 1998. The Green covers are for Greek! All of their Latin titles are in red.

Cheers.
Michael Griffin
High School Teacher who knows Latin & Greek
felicior quam sus in stercu
Quote:Xenophon The Expedition of Cyrus, a new translation by Robin Waterfield.

I'm not entirely sure about this title but I find that other Oxford books tend to be unreliable in their translations.
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Thanks for all of the advice...I'll be sure to look at all of the translations suggested and purchase one in the near future. I'll try to check out the Loeb version, as well as the book by Waterfield. I'm really interested in what he says regarding cavalry tactics and horsemanship...from what I've read it seems as though he was ahead of his time in utilizing cavalry on the battlefield.

Thanks!

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
While you are learning to read the original (an admirable ambition!), Xenophon's works on horsemanship is available in translation on line through the Project Gutenberg.

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/x
Felix Wang
Hi Trey,

For Xenophon himself try J K Anderson's 1974 book 'Xenophon' - I think it is still around in a Dover reprint although there was a 2001 book with the same author and title from Bristol Classical Press. From a military perspective try Military Theory and Practice in the Age of Xenophon also by Anderson and from 1970

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Quote:
Quote:Xenophon The Expedition of Cyrus, a new translation by Robin Waterfield.

I'm not entirely sure about this title but I find that other Oxford books tend to be unreliable in their translations.

Gee thanks! It's like the ONLY translation I have found so far! :lol: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
I keep looking for one by Penguin in Ottakers or Waterstone's, but they never stock one...... :roll: :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I just happened to pick up a book on Xenophon today -- the only one I could find in the District of Columbia, titled Xenophon's Retreat by Robin Waterfield. It looks promising, and it is endorsed by Barry Strauss, a scholar whose reputation is beyond question. I'll be sure to let the members of RAT know how it is after I've finished it. I'm on the lookout for the other books mentioned above.

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
Strangly enough, I just saw that in Ottakars here in aberdeen yesterday, but I had already grabbed a couple of books , so passed it up! :oops:
And found a penguin translation of Xenophons a history of my times.

I think I have that somewhere already........ :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I read and enjoyed Watterfield's translation, but my only ancient language is Latin so I can't comment on the translation. It was very readable and had a good blbliograpgy and notes.

There is also the Perseus project, although their new website seems to have some bugs and the translations are old. On the other hand, it is a very handy source for most of the most important classical texts and some classic references like Lewis and Short.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.