Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
miltary signum?
Is it this military or religious signum? Does someone know the similar one?

[Image: signum.jpg]
Moncada Martín, Gabriel / MARCII ULPI MESSALA
Is it this hand the auction of a signum to manipulate?

[Image: Signummano.jpg]
Beneficiars lance.
update
It is always good to consult literature Big Grin

A.Alfoldi, Vom Speerattributder altromischen Konige zu den Benefiziarierlanzen, Limes Studien 3. Basel 1959.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
I cannot see your image. Sad
I can though.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
No, it´s not a beneficiarius´s lance. The article describes it as a symbol of a religious community.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
It looks very similar to the one on Arahne's post, number 40. And 41!

What book is that from?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I made a confusion with update first I have posted beneficiar's lance after that I posted pic. As Christian said numbers 40 and 41 are Standarten von religioesen Vereinigungen.
It is interesting that article does not describe these lances, also it does not give references. In first footnote author says that larger form of this text should be published in AJA 1959, Heft 1. I cant recal abbr. AJA except American Journal of Archeology.
Believe it or not I have found it there Big Grin loool
So You can take it from jstor or if You dont have access I'll send you through e-mail. Just make shure that you have 10 Mb mailbox.
Andras Alfoldi, Hasta-Summa Imperii: The Spear as Embodiment of Sovereignty in Rome
Andrew Alföldi
American Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 63, No. 1. (Jan., 1959), pp. 1-27.

Byron I posted reference. These are the Vortrage des 3. Limes-Kongresses in Rheinfelden/Basel 1957. Published in Basel in 1959.

of topic americans have changed authors name from Andras to Andrew large lol.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
It is ment by higher entities that some things have to come to its own purpose. Big Grin In brief I wanted to post this pic earlier in one of the topics regarding roman cars, so Alfoldi refers to this grave stela that is originally from Viminacium.
D(is) M(anibus) / L(ucius) Blassius Nigellio / specul(ator) leg(ionis) VII Cl(audiae) vixit / ann(os) XXXV ...
Stefan Pop-Lazic

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman miltary sights in Turkey M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER 5 1,780 12-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Last Post: M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER