Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subarmalis
I am making a felt subarmalis approximately 3/8 of an inch thick (.96cm). The felt is being made for me utilizing colors that according to the felt maker resemble typical ones of the 1st Cent. AD.

I am debating where to put the closure. I am thinking on the left side since my squamata will open at the back. I was also thinking of using buckles :?:

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hey, me too !

Mine will be quilted felt, I think.

As for closure, I was thinking of both sides. The sub would be one piece with a hole in the middle for my head. Then I planned on tying the sides together with laces.

If you want to see laces, just look at Magnus' sub here (the first post)

~Theo
Jaime
My sub is still without pteruges, but I have experimented with closures. It is open on both sides which allows for, ahem, muscle development, extra layers, that sort of thing, :wink: but I find it quicker to keep the (body's) right closed and to tighten the lace on the left for access, covered by the shield.
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Mine has a single closure on the left...i used 3 straps on the front and back that I tie together. Works well.

Legion: TBD
mine closes at front, but then it overlaps, and is under a seg.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi guys,

Are there any buckles to those straps or is it just a tie-on arrangement?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Just laces through D-rings on mine - I can't speak to the authenticity.
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
I use buckles for mine, but they need to be made authentically.... :oops:
I started with simple ties, but they were not sturdy enough. So tacked on three buckles. Once I find a source of leather and sheepskin around here, will try to make some roman type buckles and replace the ones I have.
I think I saw a thread about making buckles on here once apon a time...... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I think I saw a thread about making buckles on here once apon a time...... Confused

Try this website: http://www.florentius.com/buckle.htm

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
The very one! Big Grin D Thanks Jef! might be quite simple then! (as if)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Making buckles is indeed very easy :wink:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
My buckles are an exact copy of a Roman buckle a friend of mine found at Hadrians wall. He is currently having someone reproduce six of them for me. I will post picks when I get them. The buckles will work similar to segmentata buckles.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Sounds good! Thanks guys, buckles it will be! Darn, more things to make and so little time ..... Cry
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Mine just ties on with woolen straps...I use simple shoe lace knots and they've never come undone. I personally wouldn't want a buckle arrangement under my armour...be all pokey and stuff.

Legion: TBD
Mine isn't! But then my sub is pretty sturdy stuff! :wink:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel