Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new late roman belt by Primus Paulus!
Here are some pictures of my new late roman belt made by my friend Primus Paulus (Paul Mullins). I have to say that he is a true artist! The belt is just awesome, sturdy, beautifully coloured etc. Your opinions are appreciated, I can send some more detailed photos if someone wants to see. Laudes, Paul Confusedhock: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
One more for the road...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Very well done!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
thanks Robert Big Grin wink: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:thanks Robert Big Grin wink: !

It really looks great and ideed very durable!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Exelent, would have to order one, but I have other business going on 4 a new house... crap! :x .

Exelent!

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Thanx guys!
I will definitely order a baldrick from Paul in the future...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
That looks like the kind of quality reproduction that would really have been worn by a Roman. Your friend is an artist!
Angus Finnigan
Hi Cassius,

Please enter your real name into your signature - it's a forum rule.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Nice swatstika. How do people feel about that? I am having a pugio made. The maker asked me if I wanted the original swatstika on it, and, I said, go ahead, it's just an accurate design, nothing else.
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
Nice bell. The unic trouble, in opinion, it's probably were better if the beginning of the strap for closing were closer to the buckle. But probably it's a trouble of sizing, not?
Awesome Job Paul. Jyrki, I didn't know you were so ugly with your helmet off.

Cesar, it could be a sizing issue. There were probably no set dimensions when figuring out where to put things, especially on items of clothing.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Nice swatstika. How do people feel about that? I am having a pugio made. The maker asked me if I wanted the original swatstika on it, and, I said, go ahead, it's just an accurate design, nothing else.

Perfectly accurate either way round, as I understand it, but very much and, perhaps, inevitably misunderstood. I know we dance around this one a bit, but I believe you shouldn't necessarily look away from what hurts the eye.

Having overheard a boy in our audience last year asking his father why one of our members 'was a Nazi' I was able to say that it was a popular pagan good luck symbol adopted by Christians etc etc. Their expressions indicated that I had possibly explained what the symbol was, but they still couldn't work out why he had chosen wear it.

I don't know if it will ever be rehabilited. I don't think wearing it will change anyone's mind, but the prospect of success should never deter anyone from doing what they believe in.

I respect anyone who feels a spiritual connection to the symbol and wishes to reclaim it from evil, but if someone doesn't, I don't understand why they should want to wear it any more than the average punter does. There are a lot of other authentic symbols out there...
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Quote:Nice bell. The unic trouble, in opinion, it's probably were better if the beginning of the strap for closing were closer to the buckle. But probably it's a trouble of sizing, not?

Thanks for the praise guys! Jyrki and I conspired on this one for awhile before I actually got started on it.

Most of the fittings are from Raymond except the bars which I made myself. It is dyed with iron filings and vinegar, then polished with beeswax. Then it is stiched with 3 different colors of all natural yarn.

Cesar,

The reason the buckle is far away from the tip is so it can fit a wide range. From wearing it with just a tunic to wearing it over maille, or over the lamellar that Jyrki was considering buying.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Nice work, Paul and congratulations, Jyrki! 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What goes into a late Roman belt? Boontje17 0 19 11-09-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Boontje17
  Late roman belt set from Traprain Law, Scotland Agraes 25 6,523 10-03-2016, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Late Sword Buttons for Belt Help? brennivs - tony drake 5 2,068 03-13-2015, 09:07 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake