Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Webcompanyregister
Hi all,
Has anyone else ever received a (paper!) letter from webcompanyregister.com? They offer to put your site/company in their directory, if you fill out the form and send it back. The small print says it costs 877 euros! Confusedhock:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
sounds fishy!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
definately sounds fishy!

Legion: TBD
For only Euro 876 (a year) I will put a link on [url:33fy1nyb]http://www.thebestwebsitesabouttheromanarmyonthewholeworldwideweb.com[/url]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Definitely fishy!
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Yes, I decided same and tore up the paper. Still, it's good to discuss it for other webmasters perhaps.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
You could have informed the proper authorities - they love to have feedback from the public where it come to fraud.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I'm not sure it is actually fraud or simply a worthless service that costs a lot.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:I'm not sure it is actually fraud or simply a worthless service that costs a lot.

I guess that would be for the public prosecutor to decide. I'd definitely forward it to the authorities. It's well beyond merely overpricing, especially given the deliberate effort to hide the price.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
A municipality, which ia a client of the company I work, fell for it, (without reading the small print). They were not very happy about it :roll:
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Ave Jasper,

that game is going on in Germany since ten years, with different 'players'.

The most common variant is sending a pseudo 'invoice' which in fact is an offer for a contract. They prefer a design similar to known registers like yellow pages and so on. Often spread in holiday times, a lot of company staff members pay that 'invoice' and when the boss is coming back from vacation, his money is lost...

Usually, there's a dummy register which nobody knows, just to 'prove' that it is no total fraud, but a real existing service. (And save the gangster from being easily sued...)

That's 'phishing' not for compliments, but for contracts. The 'classic' pre-internet paper version seems to work for a target group without internet knowledge (or a good spam filter)....
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Quote:I'm not sure it is actually fraud or simply a worthless service that costs a lot.
\\
Yes, it's fraud. I've been dealing with these scams before. They count on most big companies not bothering with 'small' bills and finding out who ordered what - so usually they pay. And the scammers rake in thousands that way!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hmmm. Well, I guess you are right. Pity I threw away the bill immediately. Cry
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Gadsook! Though the fact that they do not come up when you try their website, should also be a good indicator, if not totally foolproof! There are so many different scams going on today, with the web their oyster!
Makes you mad!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel