Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of the hoplon into the Roman period?
Oplo in modern greek is weapon couldnt find any good ancient greek lexicon but i have a theory a bit far fetched but it could be something in swedish atleast weapon can be the same as shield or as a seal i think it could be the same with other germanic languages
Josef,

The same issue existed in English, at least into the 15th century. There is a well known document from that time called "How a man shall be armed". It is about how to put on armour, not about weapons.
Felix Wang
Quote:Hi Stefanos. Do you know of any other occurences of the word hoplon to describe shields?

Diodorus 17.21.2 is the most well known, yet the discription to a native speaker is not that Diodoros uses the term HOPLON for the shield but as a term to give a description of the equipment because he thought it better to express himself in this way.
Diodorus talks about Alexander in Granikos. Alexander was mounted.
If he had a shield it would be Thacian or a small Beotian. Diodorus does not specify which hand he talks about. As I understand he means the exposed hand that held lance or sword. They are both OPLA_=weapons.
So we cannot be sure that he talks about shield here.

I will try though SOUDA and HYSICHIOS lexikons that they are used as basis.
But I doubt that anything will come up
Kind regards