Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius Re-production project
Hello again,

it's nearly completed. I've been busy getting custom work for some people finished for a spout of local fairs here in Australia.
Before I peen the tang to the handle can people please give me some feedback, critical if it needs to be. I have selected the handle design for various reasons and it is very different to other's representations of the Hispaniensis Gladius. I have kept the hexagonal hilt plate with hexagonal wood hilt that rounds at the base before a very simplistic bone handle almost a prequel to the more distinct handle shapes later found, and the pommel is a carved representation of a find. Not sure how the original was attached but this one will be peened at the end over a smaller brass plate. This is just my interpretation of a sword that I have been unable to find much information on.

ps...sorry about the cigaret, not meant to be there!

[Image: P3060113.jpg]
[Image: P3060114.jpg]
Sssssmokin!! Big Grin

Quote:Before I peen the tang to the handle can people please give me some feedback, critical if it needs to be.

The brass plate under the guard should be set into the underside and not run to the full shape of the guard.

They were generally quite thin brass too.

[Image: grip2.jpg]
That is looking great! Are you planing on making these to order?
And will you be doing scabbards for them?

Is the hand grip squarish in section, or is it rounded?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks for the advice. I can thin the brass plate, no problem.
The handle is more oval shape, and yes I can make these to order with scabbards.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius Project Decimus Aurelius Varus 0 876 05-15-2008, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Decimus Aurelius Varus
  Gladius Hispaniensis project Andy 11 4,455 02-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Andy