Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liburnian discovered?
One to keep an eye on, anyhow...

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_ ... 925C772088

Bosnian archaeologists discover fabled ships

March 20 2007 at 02:59PM

Sarajevo/Mostar - A team of Bosnia-Herzegovina's archaeologists have discovered for the first time the remnants of fabled Illyrian ships in a marshland in southern Herzegovina, the team's head said on Tuesday.

Snjezana Vasilj told local media in Mostar that the ships were discovered about eight metres under the water of Hutovo blato, a marshland near the southern town of Capljina.

The Illyrian ships, believed to be more than 2 200 years old, had been known to historians only through Greek and Roman myths and legends, but their existence had never been physically proven, said Vasilj.

The Hutovo blato marshland, she said, became their final destination after they sailed in from the Adriatic Sea which is connected with the marshland by the Neretva River.

The Desilo location where the ships were discovered, said Vasilj, would be searched further, since the experts there also discovered about 80 amphoras lids and more than 30 fragments of amphora, some even with the hallmark.

Remains of an ancient Roman villa and an entire Roman spear were found at the same location, as well as seven graves, believed to date from the Bronze or Iron Age.

Illyrians were the earliest inhabitants of the Western Balkans, including Bosnia, long before the Roman Empire took control over the region. - Sapa-dpa
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Illyrians.. Well, that's another chapter, worthy of Sumerian-Hungarian relations! Big Grin
Some say they were invented by Tito...

Anyway, let's wait and see. Mayby these were they very ships that transported the very stones for the Bosnian pyramids, all the way from very Egypt!

Yeah yeah, I'm overdoing it, I know... :roll:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Great to see more Hellenistic Illyrian stuff popping up. They were a very interesting people and not nearly enough Hellenistic evidence has appeared for them. When they say these are fabled, I guess they mean that these ships may represent the ships of the famous Illyrian pirates?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:Illyrians.. Well, that's another chapter, worthy of Sumerian-Hungarian relations! Big Grin
Some say they were invented by Tito...

Anyway, let's wait and see. Mayby these were they very ships that transported the very stones for the Bosnian pyramids, all the way from very Egypt!

Yeah yeah, I'm overdoing it, I know... :roll:

Now, now, they're in the right place for Illyrians, and ships have been found in marshy environments before. Remember the Hjortspring boat?

Let's hope it's for real, and that the find is as complete as possible. 8)
Andreas Baede