Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Scutum Press and Scutum Blank Construction
Other less expensive fabric can be used to cover a plywood scutum if you intend to paint it with acrylic artist's paint or with housepaint. We often used old bed sheets, even curtain fabric tsomeof which had a linen like appearance. One of our old plywood scutums has a Disney Junglebook pattern on the covering fabric layer! My son's old crib sheets.

Fabric should be primed and you can use an inexpensieve white paint to achieve that. If you use artist's acrylic you may wish to use gesso.

Another excellent fabric to cover a plywood scutum with is artist's canvas. It's usually cotton duck of varying weights.. 10-ounce is very sturdy , resistent to tearing and... surprise!!! ...holds paint well!

If want the fabric to stick well I recommend stretching it across the face of the plywood scutum. In addition to eliminating wrinkles it forces glue in between the threads, embedding the fabric into the glue. We used long sand bags to press the fabric into the inner side of our old plywood scutum.

Oh yeah.... wash the fabric before you glue it on especially if it's new. The chems from manufacture and laundering can make it harder for glue and paint to stick. Use plain laundry detergent, no sizing, no fabric softener, no spingtime meadow scent.... set it on an extra rinse cycle.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Messages In This Thread
Re: My Scutum Press and Scutum Blank Construction - by Johan S. Moen - 05-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Re: My Scutum Press and Scutum Blank Construction - by Hibernicus - 05-30-2007, 02:15 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Scutum Shields mrmovieprop 6 1,687 09-26-2018, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Planning my first plywood Republican scutum, advice needed torongill 2 1,634 11-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: torongill
  Anyone have a cheap imperial scutum? MarkAntony 1 894 05-07-2017, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Robert