Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Scutum Press and Scutum Blank Construction
Crispus - thanks for the comments and advice. I am assuming that the artefacts from York are incomplete? These look like brass (the Roman version anyway!).

Thanks to Jef I found a supplier of 50cm pre cut rawhide strips at a not outrageous price - lazy I know, but there are not many pet shops out here in Dubai. I will use these strips on my prototype. I am going to try the full rawhide covering on my mark 2 (made from strips of timber and not plywood).
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Hibernicus,

I found a supplier of deer rawhide (thanks again to Jeff) which should be thinner than cow hide. I think I am going to give this a try - any thoughts?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:As to the boss and the gamma shapes we so often see in sculpture, they would be fixed over the rawhide facing and would help to secure it, as stated above.

Incidentally, here is a picture of a couple of likely candidates for the said gamma shapes on shields - I believe they were found in York.

Excellent Crispvs- thanks for posting these! Laude for you :wink: They're as I'd have expected, however seeing actual artifacts that certainly could be scutum decorations is really great, especially since the detail of how they'd have probably been secured (the holes) is clearly visible. Interesting how they're both broken the same way but clearly aren't two halves of a single piece...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Ok, I just would share my experience (and problem) with my new press and first blank (which I took outside the press today.

My problem: When I took my first blank out of the press it jumped back to a "flatter" curve. From edge to edge it was 68 cm in the press, and after that that distance was about 77 cm. How do I tackle this? (I used 2 layers of 3.6 mm plywood, glued together with wood glue. The blank has been over 4 days in the press)

Enjoy the pictures.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Same problem here.
What kind of wood exactly are you guys using in your construction? Sounds like it's holding it's shape because of how it was made in the first place...like a laminated sheet may not hold it's bend because of other glues inside it.

Legion: TBD
Quote: (I used 2 layers of 3.6 mm plywood, glued together with wood glue.)

I used the same thing 3,6mm plywood and i cant seem to find any thinner then 3,6
I actually put the plywood in the press un-glued for a couple of days first, then applied glue and clamped everything up. I did get a very minimal amount of movement after 36 hours in the press (glued), but nowhere near what you guys seemed to experience.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Jurjen, Luno: Use 2mm plywood and make three layers. The shields will be far more stabile. Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Jurjen, Luno: Use 2mm plywood and make three layers. The shields will be far more stabile. Smile

I cant get plywood any thinner then 3,6mm it just isnt sold around here, at least in sizes suitable for scutums
Go to a carpenter or so, or to a sawmill and ask for vernier.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Confusedhock: I dont even know what that is, at least with that name.

Different countrys different names i guess.

Is there any specific use for vernier so that i cant have a reference
Hi there all, first post here.

I thought I'd just add a tip on making a good, paintable, linnen covering.

First, just glue the linnen on as normal, but be sure to use a lot of glue! Let it dry, and apply another layer of glue so that it makes the linnen texture "disappear".

Now comes the fun part; sand down the glue layer and stop just before you start sanding the linnen. This gives a nice and even surface that lends itself well to painting. If the paint does not stick well, sand a second time with coarser paper.

Johan Schubert Moen
Veneer is a very thin sheet of wood, turned from a log with a long knife blade. They glue pieces of veneer together to make regular plywood.

The Babel fish translator calles "veneer" folheado in Portugese, but I don't know if that makes sense. The reverse translation doesn't come true.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Ok, so its "unprocessed" plywood.

Thanks, have to see if thats available here.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Scutum Shields mrmovieprop 6 1,620 09-26-2018, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Planning my first plywood Republican scutum, advice needed torongill 2 1,584 11-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: torongill
  Anyone have a cheap imperial scutum? MarkAntony 1 866 05-07-2017, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Robert