Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plumata
I am writing this post for a friend of mine that would like to have a plumata made (in the event that this is possible). Big Grin

The question I am to ask is about parade armor and battle armor: "The current finds and evidence on the famous lorica plumata have been and are far and few in between. Most chainmail sizes ranging in the 2-3mm size with scales of 1mm in diameter. Some experts claim parade armor and frankly, given the small size of the rings it may have been so :?: . However, would not a plumata of such small ring size still be more superior to a squamta Confusedhock: . Surely metal is stronger than fiber or leather for that matter. I have been told that since scales of all sizes and shapes have been found and chainmail of all sizes has been found, then why not construct a plumata of larger size mail and scales. This larger size would tend to be an accurate presentation of plumata battle armor and not plumata parade armor (the larger the size of mail and scale the thicker the gauge). I know that going with the evidence is best, however I am interested in having constructed something that is battle grade not parade. On the other hand no one has ever made a real plumata to actually determine if there is any truth in the small mail and scale size being just parade armor. Plumata as a battle armor would have been most effective; overlapping scales on mail 8) "

This is the question/comment that has been given to me to post. Any answers would be appreciated. Smile )

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
You won't be able to find anyone who will make a plumata for your friend. He would not be able to afford the labour cost. If he wants one he will have to make it himself and don't expect it to be finished any time this year.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Thanks Dan for responding. I know he will have trouble finding someone. However, it still does not answer his question/observation.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
i'm not sure what he wants. If he wants something "authentic" or "historically accurate" then he is limited to very fine mail with small scales. If not then he can invent anything he wants. Before people start proclaiming that this must have been parade armour it might be a good idea for someone to make an accurate reconstruction (using riveted mail) and actually do some practical testing.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books