Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vindolanda horse
I read somewhere that the horse was part of a vexillum standard and that some parts were missing. But I have also been told that this is no longer thought to be the case.Any thoughts and any ideas as to what the whole thing would have looked like when complete.
Mick Saunders
Now then, my old copy of Peter Connolly's 'The Roman Army' has a Signum, Aquila and Vexillium together with 'a legion symbol' which is a winged-sea-horse looking statuette. The text places these sort of symbols in the same category as the imperial imago carried by the legion and says they were often zodiacal although it is not clear how it was carried.

I haven't found one in a quck flick through Bishop & Coulston...
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
There's a French utere felix medallion which appears to show such emblems over vexillations of British legions, although not obviously on standards.

Bishop & Coulston colour plate 3c, & (clear drawing) Southern & Dixon Fig 57 p125 The sea horse is over the Legio Secunda Augusta. The XXth has a boar, which I seem to recall is often associated with them.

Am I on the right track?

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Quote:I read somewhere that the horse was part of a vexillum standard and that some parts were missing. But I have also been told that this is no longer thought to be the case.Any thoughts and any ideas as to what the whole thing would have looked like when complete.

It's a cart fitting:

Toynbee, J. M. C. & Wilkins, A. 1982: 'The Vindolanda horse', Britannia 13, 245-51

It is a persistent little factoid, though, and is well ingrained into the iconography of Vindolanda The Marketing Phenomenon.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thank you

how mundane. Somehow seems to lack the glamour.
mick saunders
Mick Saunders
Pity. I found an image of the vindolanda horse & the one I was talking about is different - definitely more like the sea-horse mosaic from Fishbourne, but onna stick. :?

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~