Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
footwear for a military tribune
Salvete,

I'm working on a tribunus laticlavus impression. What kind of footwear would be suitable for such an impression?

Red patrician boots (the tribunus laticlavus was the son of a senator)? Regular calcei? Some kind of hellenistic open toed sandal like seen on some imperial sculptures?

I've read the threads on the forum that deal with this discussion but didn't find the information I was looking for.

All suggestions and arguments would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hi Jef,

I think you should check those:

Goldman, Norma: Roman Footwear. in Judith Lynn Sebesta, The world of Roman costume. Madison, Wis. 1994. 101-129

Goette, Hans Rupprecht: Muleus, Embas, Calceus. Ikonographische Studien zu römischem Schuhwerk.Jahrbuch des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts 103, 401-64

Lau, Otto: Schuster und Schusterhandwerk in der griechisch-römischen Literatur und Kunst. Bonn 1967
Ave Jef,

From the Louvre

And Peter Connoly

~Theo
Jaime
Thanks Martin, I won't have time for a while to go hunting for these books though Cry

@ Theo: Hans Binsfeld makes shoes like that: [Image: Calceus_equestor1_kl.jpg]

I think they were mostly worn with the toga though and not by armoured officers...

Kind regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:I think they were mostly worn with the toga though and not by armoured officers...

The author of the Osprey book on the Praetorian Guard claims that they are ordinary perones worn by senior officers and that this is confirmed by some relief work in the Louvre. I haven't seen this relief he speaks of but he shows on Plate "I" an illustration of a Praetorian tribune wearing them with his battle gear.

I don't know the truth of it, but I'd sure like to see what relief he was talking about.

As far as color goes, if I were you I'd paint them myself. You might save money that way. I repainted my officer boots dark brown.

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:@ Theo: Hans Binsfeld makes shoes like that: [Image: Calceus_equestor1_kl.jpg]

Apart from who wore them and when, I think they are not quite right, at least not when you go by what is shown on the Ara Pacis:

North Side Detail 1

North Side Detail 2

The folded down piece of leather should go down on the front half of the shoe only, not all around

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Military Tribune Impression, Various Periods- Questions Corvus 0 190 11-24-2021, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Corvus