Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Administrative districts for tax purposes
Ave Civitas,

I am in a pickle again Confusedhock: and I need your knowledge and where I can look for more information.

This time about administrative districts.

As far as I can glean from the books I have read, during reign of Constantine I, the administrative districts are partitions as this:

Prefects (four territorial and two urban). These are divided into fifteen
Dioceses.

The Dioceses are divided into one-hundred nineteen provinces.

That is where my knowledge stops. :oops:

I am sure that each major city was an administrative center encompassing the lands around them.

My five questions are these:

a. Did the larger city administrative districts encompass all the lands within a province? (What were these large city districts called?)

b. Were there areas that larger cities were not responsible for?

c. Were smaller cities subservant to the larger cities? (What were these smaller city districts called?)

d. Were there rural administrative districts? (What were these rural districts called?)

e. Where do the titles Paga, Comiva and Assisa fit into this scheme?

f. I am trying to figure the tax hierarchy in the empire. I assume that at each administrative lever there was a tax collector who combined the taxes from subordinate districts and forwarded it up. (Am I wrong?)

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Quote:My five questions
Hm. That looks like six questions. Good ones, though. :lol: 8)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
From the ytop of my head (I'd have to look up the rest:

Quote:a. Did the larger city administrative districts encompass all the lands within a province? (What were these large city districts called?)
b. Were there areas that larger cities were not responsible for?
c. Were smaller cities subservant to the larger cities? (What were these smaller city districts called?)

a. No. (Civitates)
b. Yes, areas outside the cities did not fall under the town government but under provincial government.
c. No. (Eh......)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)