Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ptolemaic or Augustan garrison at Alexandria?
Can anyone point me in the direction of information on Ptolemaic or Augustan troops stationed at or near Alexandria in Egypt, aside from descriptions of fighting therein during the Civil Wars...?
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
The Classis Alexandria Augusta is usually thought to have been there from Augustus reign onward.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
According to Strabo the Augustan garrison of Alexandria was one legion and 3 auxiliary cohorts:

Geographica Book 17.12
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/R ... 17A2*.html
Quote:12 Egypt is now a Province; and it not only pays considerable tribute, but also is governed by prudent men — the praefects who are sent there from time to time. Now he who is sent has the rank of the king; and subordinate to him is the administrator of justice, who has supreme authority over most of the law-suits; and another is the official called Idiologus, who inquires into all properties that are without owners and that ought to fall to Caesar; and these are attended by freedmen of Caesar, as also by stewards, who are entrusted with affairs of more or less importance. There are also three legions of soldiers, one of which is stationed in the city and the others in the country; and apart from these there are nine Roman cohorts, three in the city, three on the borders of Aethiopia in Syenê, as a guard for that region, and three in the rest of the country. And there are also three bodies of cavalry, which likewise are assigned to the various critical points.
Michael
Apparently, there were two legions in Alexandria/Nicopolis: After 119, the garrison was one legion strong, but in 298, Diocletian added the newly founded III Diocletiana.

At the beginning of the reign of Augustus, when Strabo was writing, XII Fulminata (stationed in "Babylon" = Cairo) was probably the third Egyptian legion.

In Late Antiquity, subunits of XIII Gemina and XI Claudia are known to have served in Egypt; their positions are not recorded and may have been Alexandria.

Other units visiting Egypt (and maybe staying briefly in Alexandria) are: V Macedonica (in 293) and a vexillatio of I Illyricorum with III Gallica (315-316).

For completeness' sake: I Maximiana and II Flavia Constantia were recruited in the Thebaid (after 296) and later transferred to Thrace.

It is often said that there were Jewish troops in Ptolemaic Alexandria, but I do not know the hard evidence.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Can anyone point me in the direction of information on Ptolemaic or Augustan troops stationed at or near Alexandria in Egypt, aside from descriptions of fighting therein during the Civil Wars...?

How early do you mean when you say Ptolemaic? I have some info from the 3rd C. BC.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Thanks to all thus far...
Quote:How early do you mean when you say Ptolemaic? I have some info from the 3rd C. BC.
Well, I should say, from the foundation of the city until the Roman occupation, then tack on the reign of Augustus...
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan