Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurion shield or Scutum
Quote:that would get heavy in the rain :wink: :lol:
Did it rain much in Fayum? :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Didn't see the weather forcast! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well here are some shots of my republican scutum! Perhaps it should be on a different post, but you did ask if I had any pics!

Also, after my initial excitement died down, I had a close look at the boss, and it is spun not hand beaten!

The scutum--

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... ome089.jpg

The spun boss---
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... ome090.jpg

The back----
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... ome091.jpg

Closer pic of the handle and nails
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... ome092.jpg

I would have preferred the nails to be clinched over a washer of some type, but maybe can amend that if I go for a different boss!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I wouldn't think it mattered much if they used felt...were they not also painted? I would think that the paint would help seal the felt. Also, felt is wool, so perhaps the natural oils helped to keep it water resistant.

Also possible that the outer facing had felt and leather over that as well.

Sheild looks awesome Byron...I think aside from your changes you've got a great piece there.

Legion: TBD
Thanks, I will pass on your compliments to Jorge! He painted it, as well as made it.

possibly, maybe also helps absorb blows? I was just imagining a scutum covered in felt only, which would drag a legionary down in a wet climate, such as jumping ashore in Britannia! Or at least I imagine it like that, but am probably wrong! Especially if covered with leather too.
Was not dissing you Crispus..... must be the rig influence! :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Isn't it the case that in the East we find rawhide rims, but in the West the rims are metal? If so (and I'm not sure), could be an indication of climate deciding the materials?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yeah, thats why I made the comment about rain, but obviously came out wrong! :oops:

As in, my scutum being for a western impression( and not john wayne, I hasten to add), Felt might get a little heavy in the rain..... :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Nice scutum Gaius - looks like it was worth the wait Big Grin
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Cheer's!
Now am having fantasies of a complete caesarian centurion kit, from then Xth legion! :roll: :roll: When will I win the lottery........ :roll: :lol: [/u][/i]
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iberian Oval Shield (Scutum) Untilatie 1 1,529 11-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Last Post: Mark Headlee
  Questions about embossing a Scutum (shield) & boss (hand AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 16 6,935 06-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Primvs Pavlvs
  scutum and shield use Goffredo 7 2,985 01-08-2005, 01:26 AM
Last Post: John Maddox Roberts