Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurio sword
This may sound like an odd question since as far as I know no galdius has an inscription that reads "belongs to centurio ......"

Is there anyone who could suggest a mainz or mainz fulham gladius that could have been used by a centruion. (not including the usual sword of Tiberius since this sword has been reproduced several times).

Thanks in advance

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I think there is'nt any sword that we can say it belongs to a centurio, including the so called sword of Tiberius.

If the argumentation is the original cost, probably the original Fulham sword was more costous, because the repousse work is more elaborated and covers the whole piece.

The covering of the sheat... I think it's tin, but even in the case it was silver, the weight of that silver not were higher than 1 or 2 denarii.
Actually, the Guttmann gladius might have belonged to a Centurio- it's marked with the 'standard' centuria consisting of the chevron indicating a Centurio (>) and that Centurio's name (how Centuria were denoted), but then the same name is repeated below, which seems the way the owner's name would be done- Centuria/ owner- it's just a theory, but seems quite reasonable to me. And it's no more ornate or decorated than any other pompeiensis- less-so actaully since some have partial tinning as background contrast.

To answer the question though, Cesar's right that the use of some precious metals seems a reasonable choice to separate a Centurio's weapon from another- and the use of ivory for the handle maybe too. It depends on the time period you're doing as well. For all we know it might have been just that a Centurio would have a superior weapon- a better-made blade (makes more sense to spend money on that than decoration).

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:If the argumentation is the original cost, probably the original Fulham sword was more costous, because the repousse work is more elaborated and covers the whole piece.

Not to contradict you Cesar, but the Fulham scabbard wasn't done by repousse/ chasing, at least not as the primary means of production- it was die-stamped just like the Tiberius, so wasn't an expensive piece at all. Both are examples of what were probably fairly common weapons of the time.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Thank you both for the response. It was along the lines I was thinking. However, your imput is valuable for me because it strenghts the argument all that more.

However, my armorer seems to think that such elaborate pieces were repousee not even chasing enters his argument. I guess everyone has their own ideas as to how things could have been made. Since all the techniques mentioned were available at the time, it seems fair to assume any of them are acceptable when reproducing something.

Do either of you have any photos of highly decorated scabbards (not the sword of tiberius, I have that).

Any help wouldbe appreciated

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Thanks for the response. I thought as much. Yes you cannot take the word of a manufacturer for products.

Matt, is there a number I can contact you at. I am interested in a scutum.

Thanks

Paolo

Paolo
Saying that, Caesar encouraged his men to spend their money on their equipment, some of them having quite fancy equipment, possibly to encourage them to fight harder to keep it, and to instill envy in their adversaries. A good psy/ops method , which would encourage people to want to join the romans ,as opposed to resisting violently!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel