Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TC aux. Who where they?
The Auxiliae soldiers on Trajans Column, who where they? What Cohorts participated in the Dacian wars and where did they come from?
There's a list I beleive on the Adamklissi monument.

I can tell you about the Batavian Cohorts though...

Cohors I Batavorum (Milliaria Pia Fidelis Civium Romanorum):

The ‘Civium Romanorum’ or ‘Citizens of Rome’ suffix, giving the entire unit full citizen status was granted during the Dacian campaigns of the emperor Trajan (AD102 – 106) . The diploma from Raetia (RMD-02, 00086 dated December AD113) found at Regensburg (Castra Regina) details the full honorific titles granted to the cohort, as does another diploma from Pannonia Superior, provenance unknown. (AE 1997, 01782 = RMD-04, 00223 dated to 3 May 112).
The cohort was then transferred back to Solva in Upper Pannonia and later Dacia Porolissensis.

Ala Batavorum Milliaria Civium Romanorum Pia Fidelis

this unit is attested for the Dacian Wars, (AE 1987 00829) and were garrisoned there in Romania (IDR 03-04-79b to IDR 03-04-82).

Cohors II Batavorum Milliaria Equitata
Also fought in Trajan’s Dacian campaigns.

Cohors IX Batavorum Milliaria
From Vindolanda as a milliaria unit. It then departed in 105 to fight in the last part of the Dacian Wars. There is evidence for the unit in Dacia Inferior and Moesia Inferior until 112CE. At Buridava in Romania, tiles have been found with the inscription CIXB dated to this time
Quote:The Auxiliae soldiers on Trajans Column, who where they? What Cohorts participated in the Dacian wars and where did they come from?

There's an article written by Nicolae Gudea called "Spanish Units on Dacia" from 1980 where a list of hispanic cohorts is provided. From this list the units that took part on the Dacian Wars are:

- Ala I Asturum
- Cohors I Hispanorum Veterana Quingenaria Equitata
- Cohors I Bracaraugustanorum (probably was involved in the conquest)
- Cohors II Hispanorum Scutata Cyrenaica Equitata
- Symmachiarii Astures

If you can't find the article I can provide more information about any of them, if you are interested.

Xavi
Thanks Boys! I just wanted to know! If that has any impact on how they are portrayed or if the soldiers on the TC just are your genereic Auxiliae. The more I study the column the more it is a mystery to me. Hehe
Quote:Thanks Boys! I just wanted to know! If that has any impact on how they are portrayed or if the soldiers on the TC just are your genereic Auxiliae. The more I study the column the more it is a mystery to me. Hehe

I'm not an expert on Trajan's Column, but with such a diversity of units and cultures the soldiers depicted in the column seems probably too much standardized IMHO. Maybe the authors chose just a few uniforms to create the scenes?

Xavi
Quote:- Symmachiarii Astures

What kind of unit are "Symmachiarii" ?
Michael
Quote:What kind of unit are "Symmachiarii" ?

Literally, if I am not wrong, symmachiarii means "those who fight together", "allies".
Anyway, it is not yet clear the meaning of this title in the context of Imperial Roman Army , and many scholars debated the topic.
Symmachiarii units are mentioned in the De Munitionibus Castrorum(19,29,30,43).
This source has been also compared with an inscription (AE 1926, 88 ) where a unit of Symmachiariii Astures raised for one Dacian war (not stated which one) is mentioned.
Most of the uncertainty about the Symmachiarii's role and chronological context in the Imperial Roman Army (particularly in trying to relate them to other attested types of ethnical units like numeri or nationes) comes from the difficulty in dating both De Munitionibus Castrorum and this inscription, it seems.
Regardless of the dating problem, anyway, P.Southern ("The Numeri of the Roman Imperial Army", 1989) , following E. Birley (in "Antiquitas", 1976), suggests that Symmachiarii may have been temporary ethincal units levied for the duration of a campaign (as opposed to numeri, which were permanent ethnical units).
Just a possibility, but it seem a good one to me.
Vale
Iuppiter Optimus Maximus resistere atque iterare pugnam iubet
(Liv. I.12)

Tiberius Claudius Nero
a.k.a. Carlo Sansilvestri

CONTUBERNIUM
SISMA - Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi