Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for references: 150-175 AD infantry
Hi all,

I'm looking for bibliographical references for the timeframe of about 150-175 AD for infantry/legionary (other than Osprey books), any and all kinds of equipment, armor, clothing, weapons, anything.

So far (only just started) I have only looked at Bishop/Coulston: Roman Military Equipment and Bishop: Segmentata.

Ah, yes, I think I have about enough on shoes, thanks ;-) )

TIA!
Martin, you might find Michel Feugère`s "Weapons of the Romans" (2002) useful. For example it uses a different classification for the roman helmets than the "Gallic etc" systems of Robinson. It has it flaws (no index etc.) but then again it has some information about roman army you can`t find elsewhere. The name of the book is a bit misleading, it includes more or less all the roman military gear, not only weapons...

Plenty of black and white photographs too...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Try Dietwulf Baatz Der Roemische Limes, published in the seventies. I was rather surprised, how this book tells everything from the basics in the very simple language. Search his articles, and any other articles in the Saalburg Jahrbuch, Very good periodical. One of the best in fact.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Roman Infantry Equipment by I.P STEPHENSON is pretty good as well. It may be a tad on the later side that what you are looking for, but in reality the late 2nd Century was the start of the Transition period inot the Spatha, Newstead Segmentata etc.

Cheers
Markus
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Hi all,

many thanks for your advice, I'll check those out!
1. Markomannenkriege – Ursachen und Wirkungen : VI. Internationales Symposium “Grundprobleme der frühgeschichtlichen Entwicklung im nördlichen Mitteldonaugebietâ€
Hi,

Tejral, J.: Römische und germanische Militärausrüstungen der antoninischen Periode im Licht nord-danubischer Funde, in: Carnap-Bornheim, C. von (ed.), Beiträge zu römischer und barbarischer Bewaffnung in den ersten vier nachchristlichen Jahrhunderten, Lublin/Marburg, 1994, s. 27-60.

Greetings
Alexandr
Brilliant, many thanks once more guys! You make this place a treasure trove!
Code:
Roman Infantry Equipment by I.P STEPHENSON is pretty good as well.
I`d rather disagree and say that it`s a not so good book. In any case, Martin, I have it, if yyou want to have a look at it. Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.