Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tablet weave pteruges
Theo,
What has the statue fragment (National Museum of Roman Art, Mérida, Spain) I posted to make you term it as a less reliable source than any of the other ones? :roll:

John,
Please, could you be more explicit on the cost tof the tablet-woven tape? Hom much for the meter/foot? 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I can't remember the exact price. I believe I got around 600 inches and that the price, including shipping was around $700.00. This was extra wide tablet weaving for Judith. It was a special order.
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
Quote:Theo,
What has the statue fragment (National Museum of Roman Art, Mérida, Spain) I posted to make you term it as a less reliable source than any of the other ones? :roll:
Aitor

Hi Aitor,

Your example is extremely valuable in my reconstruction efforts. It reveals clearly that stitching was used to create a border and it even reveals the backside of a few pteruges. And for that I reciprocate with laudes you awarded me earlier. Big Grin

My earlier comment about the statue was in regards to only one minor aspect of it. By 'realism' I only meant the way the pteruges seem to endlessly come out from behind the outermost row. I was contrasting this with my personal experience of wearing my pteruges. The pteruges on the fragment don't reveal any gaps whereas mine do to a relatively small extent.

Afaik, no one has more or as many pteruges as I do. So, I just thought I'd share my (perhaps unique) experience with wearing so many pteruges.

My apologies for being so ambiguous earlier.

Yes, I'm aware Spain ranks among the top-tier locations when it comes to seeing surviving Roman statues, archetecture, and technology (e.g. mining wheels, irrigation channels). In fact, for Europe, I believe Spain is the best place to visit after Italy. The other two sites that have spectacular treasures from their Roman past, afaik, is North Africa and Syria.

~Theo
Jaime
John,
Many thanks for the information! Big Grin
At slightly more than $100 per inch Confusedhock: I'm afraid that I must turn to a different direction Sad

Theo,
No offence and less nothing related to Spain (It was that I had just remembered that I had forgotten to quote where the statue fragment is :oops: and, moreover, I don't feel very Spanish 8) )
I think that I am starting to understand what you mean but, perhaps is a matter of language, I cannot understand it totally. Could you, please, be more explicit? 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I think the cost is $1.00 per inch, not $100 per inch.
Holy crapballs...$700 for fabric? Jesus...lol.

You get a laudes point from me john just for having the bollocks to buy material that expensive! :lol:

Legion: TBD
Aitor,

Quote:Theo,
No offence and less nothing related to Spain (It was that I had just remembered that I had forgotten to quote where the statue fragment is :oops: and, moreover, I don't feel very Spanish 8) )

Well, I should've said "Roman Spain" or "Iberian Peninsula" anyway since modern Spain doesn't include Portugal.

Quote:I think that I am starting to understand what you mean but, perhaps is a matter of language, I cannot understand it totally. Could you, please, be more explicit? 8)

Sure. The statue's pteruges totally obscure the wearer's tunic despite the fact that they are in motion (as opposed to a statue where the soldier is at rest in which case his pteruges would hang straight down).

My tunic can be seen through some gaps between my pteruges despite having 2 overlapping rows in staggered position attached to my subarmalis.

Realistically, I'm not sure that Roman pteruges would have provided as much coverage as the statue would have us believe. But maybe I still don't have enough pteruges to prevent gaps from appearing and revealing my tunic.

~Theo
Jaime
The cost may seem high but a lot of work does go into tablet weaving. Not so much for thin strips of one color or two colors, but John purchased a 2 inch strip with a pattern. Lots of card turning and paying attention to detail there. I once purchased a 2 1/2 inch tablet woven belt about 2 meters long for $80. Beautiful belt, single red color but with a great twisted pattern.

Back in 1995 I thought the price was expensive since I was a poor college student, but then the person who made it told me the price ended up being less than $1/hr for her time.

:oops:

I felt like a schmuck for not being able to offer her more money!

Good stuff ain't cheap that's for sure!

Cheers,

Britannicus
Gaius Aquilius Britannicus
aka. Todd Searls
John,
Yes, $1 :oops: I shouldn't have neglected my maths so much... :roll:
Anyway, it is a lot of money and I would need maybe as much as four times what you have used for my pterugae Confusedhock:

Todd,
What you point out is very important and mus not be forgotten.
When dealing with artisans I don't say 'This is expensive' I just say, 'I cannot afford it'

Theo,
Gotcha! Thanks! Big Grin

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Todd,
What you point out is very important and mus not be forgotten.
When dealing with artisans I don't say 'This is expensive' I just say, 'I cannot afford it'
Aitor

Hahah, well said Aitor!

I might insert that fabrics, which was an enormous part of what Roman soldiers had, are badly neglected by re-enactors. They were at least as expensive and important as the weapons.
Sure thing! But costing as much as a sword or body armour? Maybe for extremely high ranks over and above centurion (though some of the evidence shows a smoother pteryge anyway), but I would think either linen with some type of thicker core or multi-layered linen would have been a good choice for the centurionate.

Magnus,

Quote:Holy crapballs...$700 for fabric? Jesus...lol.

You get a laudes point from me john just for having the bollocks to buy material that expensive!

I first read this yesterday and had a chuckle to myself every time I thought of it throughout the rest of the day. I have just read it again this morning and got the same reaction - thanks for brightening up my day :lol: You certainly have a way with words sometimes!

BTW John that takes nothing away from the excellent work you have done, laudes from me.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:I think the cost is $1.00 per inch, not $100 per inch.

Aitor, remember we Americans use the decimal point like you Europeans use a comma. So we'd write one-thousand as 1,000 whereas you'd write it 1.000.

Don't worry, I see prices in lyrae or euros and freak until I remember commas and decimals over on your side of the pond. Smile
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Said Todd--

"Back in 1995 I thought the price was expensive since I was a poor college student, but then the person who made it told me the price ended up being less than $1/hr for her time. "

And who say's slave labour is dead and gone!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!) AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 141 48,222 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Last Post: madoc