Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tablet weave pteruges
Here is a system of pteruges and subarmalis inspired by T. Clark and others:

[Image: subarmalis3.jpg]

I started with doeskin backing as seen here:

[Image: DSC09481.jpg]

[Image: DSC09482.jpg]
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
Next, I added 2 inch wide tablet weave of red and blue yarn:

[Image: DSC09483.jpg]

I sewed the tablet weave in 14 1/2 inch lengths to the doeskin:

[Image: DSC09484.jpg]

and; added braiding on the ends and along the seams:

[Image: DSC09486.jpg]

Then they are attached to a subarmalis of layers of hemp (linen would work just as good.)
Here I am at the Houston Museum of Natural Sciences Roman Exhibit wearing it under my segmentata:

[Image: museum2-3.jpg]

Incidentally, the strips are double layered on the subarmalis.
Very nice John! I like the colours...reminds me of that coloured statue of Augustus.

I am also working on my pteryges based on Travis's site. I'll have some pics up in the next few weeks.

Legion: TBD
Very impressive, John.

I've never seen a reconstruction that so closely resembles the surface texture that we see on pteruges from Imperial statuary. I wish I could get my hands on some tablet weave but I hear it's expernsive to make.

Anyway, the only constructive criticism I can think of is that, IMHO, the pteruges should be made thicker by adding a layer of, say, wool. That should stiffen them out a bit and offer better protection. Also, adding another row of pteruges would help cover gaps ; again, this would offer more protection against enemy weapons, I believe. I'm just trying to think of ways to enhance an already great recreation.

Thanks for sharing your reconstruction methods, John. I think I've learned something.

Laudes to you !

~ Theo
Jaime
Good work John, laus for you! Big Grin
Which is the source for the tablet-woven bands?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
They are quite thick. I have two rows, one on top of the other. A third row would present problems attaching them to the subarmalis because of the thickness. I agree the gaps present a problem. As soon as I can, I am going to add one more set and re-attach them so they overlap slightly. I believe that will solve the gap problem.

Judith at Ars Romana made the tablet weave.
Thanks John! Big Grin
Was it very expensive? 8)
I don't think that pterugae rows overlapped at all. Judging from surviving sculptures, up to six (three short and three long) layers were just superimposed.
[Image: pterugae.jpg]

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I don't know about that Aitor, I agree some sculptures show the rows directly behind each other, yet others show overlap, as well as pteryges all over the place (from Travis's site [url:2ljedxcz]http://astro.temple.edu/~tlclark/lorica/musculata2.htm[/url]):

[Image: templehadrianbritdet2b.jpg]

I agree about the upper one Matt (really strange pterugae Confusedhock: ),
but I think that on the two lower statues, they just are superimposed and it's the movement what creates the illusion of them being staggered (at least IMHO :wink: )

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Could be. I'd think that lower ranked officers who were on the front lines may have needed the overlap though, for better protection?

And yeah, that top pic is indeed wierd. 8)

Yes, it was expensive, both in terms of cost (the tablet weaving) and my time to assemble all the components.

I was talking about only a slight overlap, perhaps one stitch. Half of the front in my picture is overlapped in this way, which is the half without the gaps.

I think as you went up into the rank structure, the layers increased. The effect was not unlike petticoats in 19th c. fashion.
I agree. Especially if the multiple layers were right over top of each other.

Hmmmm....my wife does tablet weaving.

Big Grin

Thanks for the great idea John!

Cheers!

Britannicus
Gaius Aquilius Britannicus
aka. Todd Searls
I have two rowsof long waist pteruges (72) and they're staggered. But even I get gapsas I move about. So, I believe there must be some allowance for it to happen - it's just a question of how much. I'm dubious about the realism of the statue fragment Aitor posted.

~Theo
Jaime

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!) AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 141 48,074 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Last Post: madoc