Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short men had what it takes for 2m years
So, what took the clumsier (i.e. taller) Germans so long to conquer Rome ? :lol:

Short men had what it takes for 2m years :

...Short men were irresistible to women until mankind's ancestors learned how to use tools as weapons, research suggests.
Being short made modern man's predecessors more adept at fighting - with a lower centre of gravity and better balance ...
Jaime
THanks! I'll use that text in one of my classes for translation practice. One of the students is about 5'4".
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
How often do the shorter men win bouts in full contact martial arts contests?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
You should ask Mike Tyson :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Ave Theodosius,

probably their preferred fighting technique was the 'shortcut' then? :wink:
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Hmmmmm, you often hear about The Short man's complex, but I have met plenty of tall people with big chips on their shoulders! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It seems to me that this research is not weighing in all the factors.

Sure, shorter soldiers have a lower center of balance, but taller soldiers have more reach. Taller people are also better at mountain climbing for the same reason. Sure, there is a trade-off and this is not ideal in every situation, but it seems ignorant for researchers to make such a generalized statement. I'd really like to see the details of the research.

And let's not forget the Roman Army did have some parameters defining a minimum height for recruits.
[size=84:2ykzgt0v]Yes, Alas - I really am that pale...[/size]
SPVRIVS
[size=75:2ykzgt0v]aka Sean Foster[/size]
Quote:Sure, shorter soldiers have a lower center of balance, but taller soldiers have more reach. Taller people are also better at mountain climbing for the same reason.

Since shorter men are more stable I think they make better cavalrymen - less prone to fall off.

Quote:Sure, there is a trade-off and this is not ideal in every situation...

Right, taller types have more range but I figure maybe shorter guys are more nimble ?

Quote:And let's not forget the Roman Army did have some parameters defining a minimum height for recruits.

Oh, I know it. I just posted this research so we can all make light of its flawed conclusions (and the researchers). There are other factors, like - what if the shorter race (e.g. Romans, Greeks) had SUPERIOR tools (e.g. the gladius) than the taller race and MORE of them to go around for their side ? Not every Celt or German could have a sword. So, there's the economic angle missing from this research as well.

~Theo
Jaime

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This takes dumb to a new level... ParthianBow 4 1,371 09-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Gaius Decius Aquilius