Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sarmatian ring pommel swords
Psssst!

The Hamian Archer on the far right of the photo is the gentleman that has commissioned these beautiful swords! :wink:
Hi Celer,

Quote:Here are two images from the 'Spoils of Victory' catalogue that might interest you.

Could you please let me know the bibliographical details of that catalog?

TIA!
Salve,

Quote:The Hamian Archer on the far right of the photo is the gentleman that has commissioned these beautiful swords!

Yup, I would recognise that mustache at 100 yards.

Martin, the biographical details for the cataloger are: ISBN87-7602-006-1 (2003).

It is currently at a ridiculous price of about 5 Euros. It will cost more to send it than to buy it, and at 450 pages with stacks of colour photographs it would be worth it at ten times the price. Contact the Museum shop at the National Museum of Denmark.

Vale,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Quote:Salve,

Quote:The Hamian Archer on the far right of the photo is the gentleman that has commissioned these beautiful swords!

Yup, I would recognise that moustache at 100 yards.

Vale,

Celer.

He must have shaved it off recently!! :lol: :lol: I can't make out the face on the photo anyway!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Martin, the biographical details for the cataloger are: ISBN87-7602-006-1 (2003).
It is currently at a ridiculous price of about 5 Euros. It will cost more to send it than to buy it, and at 450 pages with stacks of colour photographs it would be worth it at ten times the price. Contact the Museum shop at the National Museum of Denmark.

Many thanks for the info and your PM! I'll try and contact them :-) )

Martin
Message from the museum:

Tak for henvendelsen. Jeg er på ferie og kan tidligst svare den 10. april.
Du er velkommen til at kontakte mine kolleger pÃ¥ [email protected]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Faventianvs,Lvcivs.thanks for the pics .Had a great time in Spain with you guys Big Grin lol: :lol: I hoped you also enjoyed it.Thanks Celer for the pics also ,all the help I have been given will keep me going on this project.Vortigen, my client is a dear friend that Ive knowen to long,hence the premium I offered him.If anyone needs any help with swords info ect, just drop a line to me.Ive made swords from 3BC-9AD and have a good libary. Big Grin D D D
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote:Tak for henvendelsen. Jeg er på ferie og kan tidligst svare den 10. april.
Du er velkommen til at kontakte mine kolleger pÃ¥ [email protected]

Translation anyone?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
http://www.templ.net/pics-weapons/116-r ... /a16av.jpg

that one's really beautiful imho. Anyone know how accurate it is? Only ringpommels I've seen so far are the ones in Bishop and Coulston.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Quote:I also gave Aitor this sword for his group last year a 4AD infantry sword. thanks again everyone Regards Brennivs Big Grin

4 AD? 4th c. AD?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I think I saw one of your swords at Lunt, as your 'client was showing a couple off! There is no 'drooling' emoticon! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sorry Vortigern I ment 4th century AD.Gaivs I am glad you liked the sword, I also know Brian who made your lorica good friend of mine. Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Cinna the ring pommel is roughly copied from a one found at Bodensee as is the cross guard.The blade as far as I am aware ,are not pattern welded on Sarmation swords, and the blades I have looked at the cross section are curved except a single edged sword from Denklingen; and a one with a mid-rib from Steinamanger; which is the one I copied with the bone handle .Also the blade looks more of a Roman shape. The scabbard does not have any ribs down the centre,the top piece I have not come across :?: the slide is from Vimose ,and the chape I have also never seen: except for examples from 200-235 AD but with out the inlay. I can say it is a beautiful sword and the maker is a excellent craftsman but I think the sword is to well made compared to the originals.I hope this is of some help. Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
That 4th century AD blade is a beauty. Great work.

Derek D. Estabrook
Derek D. Estabrook
I still need nto get some other things Brian was modifying for me. Perhaps will manage to nip down next time I am home!!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sarmatian Ring Pommel dagger brennivs - tony drake 11 2,924 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Ring Pommel Sword Robert 7 2,405 05-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Robert
  Pattern Welded Ring pommel gladius leonardod 3 2,013 04-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva