Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Mosaic Workshop
After a number of requests I'll be running a series of one day workshops here in the UK on Roman Mosaics. It will be solely on ancient work and not contempary, using marble only. A breakdown of the day is on my website. Due to the time factor pre-cut material is used but you'll be taught to use the hammer and hardie as a number of pieces will need to be cut still, but this still allows you to create a geometric piece roughly 30 x 30cm square to take away. It's very intensive but I expect people to go away from the day with a much clearer understanding of how large floor mosaics were made by the Romans. As this is the first set I'm only charging £65/90 euros per person instead of the advertised £145/205 euros. I need to get an indication of how much people can do in a day Be warned though I've learned the rules the hard way over the past 6 years so I'm going to be right on your case to ensure you understand how the Roman mosaicist worked! :wink:
If you want anymore information let me know, I'm at the 'Original Reenactors Market' this weekend so you could talk to me there. The first one is on the 31st March, it's fairly close but I've been waiting on the right material from my Italian supplier.
Lawrence
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
Quote:A breakdown of the day is on my website
Can you post a link to your website please.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
It's in Lawrence's WWW button at the bottom of his post Tarbi: http://www.lpmosaics.com
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Never noticed that :? Sorry Lawrence.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I think this is a fantastic idea. I've had a love affair with Roman mosaics since I started studying this period.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Thanks Franklin,
I've been looking at a way to make this more accesible and now with this irregular cut marble it means people can that you've got a large supply of material to create the mosaics without spending too much time on the cutting. it does mean that I can start working on a 8' x 8' floor, (in sections) to take around to the shows with be. I'll post pictures as the work progresses.
Lawrence
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
I guess because they provide the most durable "snapshots" of daily roman life. I feel like they're more prone to realism and less stylized than other art forms of the period.

Obviously most people's first thought is Piazza Armerina, and rightly so. The ability to observe figures in context is a HUGE benefit. A statue is great for gleaning details about garb and armor, but men hunting exotic animals and women casually sunbathing gives you a peek into people's actual lives.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Mosaic Workshop Musivarius 8 2,044 06-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Musivarius