Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek male hairstyles used in Battle and sports
Hi to all.
The truth is that we see braids in many classical statues,most of them of Gods however.In fact it seems they had more hairstyles than I expected,but I don't know if they used all of them in everyday life or in warfare.For example look at the statue of Zeus-Poseidon in the National Museum in Athens.He has very long hair but all gathered up with two long braids that go arround his head.One would need half an hour a day to make that hairstyle.However we know that thw Spartans payed attention to their look befor battle.I agree with Yannis that in most cases what we see in art is curly hair made to look like this with oil.In these particular pictures that Themistoklis posted of the Argive brothers I'd say they represent artificial but crudely depicted curles like the ones shown in the head of Apollo above.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o118 ... /apolo.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o118 ... ssical.jpg
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
@ Tarbicus
in what way? You post an image that imo proves my view. Those are just locks and not braids. I cant recall a pottery showing braids and if there is one around i would really like to see it so i can compare how they symbolized braids. What appeares to be braids i ve seen till today only in archaic statues and statuettes. So i really think that it was more an artistic weakness than actual depiction. In later times arts developed and they dropped that ''symbolism''
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Quote:@ Tarbicus
in what way? You post an image that imo proves my view. Those are just locks and not braids. I cant recall a pottery showing braids and if there is one around i would really like to see it so i can compare how they symbolized braids. What appeares to be braids i ve seen till today only in archaic statues and statuettes. So i really think that it was more an artistic weakness than actual depiction. In later times arts developed and they dropped that ''symbolism''
Here's a link to Lupus' post on this page:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 225#126225

Okay, I'll change my mind about the locks in that pottery. But it doesn't change the research done on the subject.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Question.
How could you grab the hair of a Spartan behind his aspis while he had o spear pointed at you?.
Who would risk extending his arm to be hacked of by a kopis ?

It is the same issue like the husars. Long hair was just a matter of fashion.

Kind regards
It's not about grabbing hair but about deflecting a slash, which also bears out for hussars. But on the subject of grabbing hair, IIRC Alexander thought beards were great for grabbing in a fight, and therefore wouldn't grow one. I still can't help thinking it's a reason for the shape of the corinthian helmet; to stop a beard from being grabbed.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
imo the corinthian was shaped in such a way cause in the first centuries of fixed phalanx warfare face was a first class target. Some say an interesting view. Alexander didnt wanted his men to grow beard cause he couldnt grow one. Even today a man who has no beard (and i dont mean shaving it) is still considered abit less macho. In older days he was considered feminim. Some people have no beard or they have so scarce that as we are joking in greece you need to take cab from one hair to another Big Grin . I believe Alexander was in this category. He felt that as king he should be the greater in love, drinking, fighting, leadership and manhood so he couldnt have people make fun of him for something like beard. If he couldnt have nobody would.

Pretty spoiled brat Big Grin
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Well ther were long beards extending under the helmet edge.
There is pictorial evidence too.
Somewhere I have read that long hair were good to grab you when you were running away not when you did a stand.

Perhaps long hair might be an obstacle in raid/guerilla warfare not in ordered rank fighting.

Plutarch in "life of Lycourgos" talks much about long hair but Plutrach had no military experience.

Kind regards
So long hair is a hindrance. Sounds like braiding it is very practical if you're in an actual fight.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Tarbicus:2bt79ebl Wrote:hindrance.

:? ?: ...I do not know that word

Something that stops, impedes or blocks you.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Does the guy on the back has is hand inside the others pants Confusedhock:
and there s no way you can cut that or tie it back Big Grin D D D
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o118 ... VD_249.jpg

Take a look on those persian beards from the movie "Alexander".Don't they look much like the archaic statues' curles?It's a nice interpretation on how stylised statues should not always be taken as artistic lisense...
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Strategy at the Battle of Salamis Vindex 0 1,090 03-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  The Greek Battle Standard Ghostmojo 8 3,283 11-06-2009, 03:30 AM
Last Post: PMBardunias
  The most decisive battle for Greek history Anonymous 13 6,198 05-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus