Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
securing the Montefortino A-question
I noticed the new Montefortino A has a closing system using a tab on the outside of the cheekpiece similar to the last version of the Gallic A. This seems like an unsecure way to hold it on. I've searched the database here and only see that appear on the British Museum,London one. I can't see it on the others or any other means of keeping it on the head. If this is the correct/best way, how exactly is it done?
Thanks.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Have a look through the Deepeeka Marketplace thread for the Gallic A.

I posted how these helmets are secured in there. It's the same method.
I have fitted my Monte A already, so I'll post a pic this evening for you.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... ties-1.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... CF1888.jpg
Thanks,Peronis.
I knew you'd have the answer. I almost suspected as much but wasn't sure. I really hadn't noticed any attatchment on the neckguard of the "Monte". The leather thong on my Gallic rubs my neck raw. I guess there's no avoiding it.
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
Andy,

You saw me at several events wearing my Gallic A that has been secured according to Peroni's diagram. This method works very well, it is impossible for me to take the helmet off as long as even only one of the straps is still attached.

My leather thongs are long enough to barely touch my neck; nevertheless, this method allows having the thongs loose and still firmly securing the helmet on one's head.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
I find this fastening method very good. I can put on and fasten my gallic A a lot faster than I can my gallic H.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Here's the photos of the new Montefortino A with the double tie-ring method...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... CF2373.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... CF2372.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... CF2371.jpg
Thanks, guys for the answers. Really, I'm not trying to be dense I just never realized it fastened that way. I imagined it as tied by a thong inside the cheekguards using rings.
Alex, you're right, I've seen your Gallic A fastening but didn't know it was so secure. I'm glad to hear it can be a bit looser than my Gallic G which some have commented on("wow,your neck sure looks red"((- no southern slang intended)) in Mobile.

Great pics,Adrian.Worth a thousand words, as they say. The helmet looks
really good. I can't wait to get mine. Now finally that horsetail crest we discussed some time ago.

Thanks, Jef, too.

*After thought*- Does this helmet come with leather straps or do I supply them myself ? I imagine the latter.
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
How common were those stud/rivets on the cheek pieces?

That attachment system has lots of advantages over the chin string. Besides being stronger, and almost certainly more comfortable, it is easier to do. If something goes wrong with the bow knot under the chin, it's pretty hard to get it untied without help. Not that getting help is a hard thing to do, just that it would be better if it weren't needed.

Well how about a picture of the helmet actually on the head, so we can see the underside, and how it laps onto the Adam's Apple?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
M. Demetrius\\n[quote]
Well how about a picture of the helmet actually on the head, so we can see the underside, and how it laps onto the Adam's Apple?

David, Please check 11thlegion.com. I believe you're a member. There you'll see several pics of Alex's helmet with that set up. Look under Fernbank 12/06.
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
You must mean this picture...I see it now, I guess I'm just dense. OK, no guessing necessary. :roll:

But the question remains: could this type of strap be retrofitted onto other helmets, not just Montefortino and Gallic A? Seems too good not to continue. Am I missing something as usual?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:But the question remains: could this type of strap be retrofitted onto other helmets, not just Montefortino and Gallic A? Seems too good not to continue. Am I missing something as usual?

We generally see this type of fastening on older style helmets. The Montefortino types especially. The Coolus C types from Schaan have the same system as do a few similar shaped cheekpieces in other collections. (One of which has a series of rivets for what appears to be for attachment of a liner)
And then of course the Gallic A (Augustan period) After this we see the introduction of the tie-ring system. On some Italic type cheek pieces we see a double ring-tie system. (Italic E)