Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Velites and Light Armed
What are the differences between the velites and light armed? Livy mentions them fighting together at the battle of Ilipa. The latin is this: velitumque et levis armaturae. Translated it reads: velites and the light armed. So they are not one of the same. I know what the velites looked like. What about the "light armed"..? Hastati with no body armor..?
Thanks
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Johnny,

What I'm thinking is that since velites were a part of the regular legionary structure, these could be Italian or other allied light infantry.

Rome got both light cavalry and light infantry with javelin/shield from Numidia and other sources, to include Spanish allies.

So, I would say Spanish/Italian/Numidian allied light infantry, with some sort of tunic, a light spear and/or javelins, and perhaps a light shield or buckler of the type common to that nation.

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
Edge,
That makes perfect sense to me. The Romans had many Spanish allies in this battle and they would fit well with the "light armed".
Thanks for the information,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
It could also mean Antesignani (probably spelled that wrong). But I do not remember when they were in usage in the republican period.

Cordially,

MJB
Mediocris Ventvs Qvod Seqvax Maris

Michael
Several discusions on the antesignani can be found on this forum.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who replaced the velites in the princpate army William Panagopoulos 5 1,349 10-18-2019, 01:41 AM
Last Post: Bryan
  Who Commanded the Velites? antiochus 31 9,165 10-22-2014, 06:57 AM
Last Post: antiochus
  Velites and Hastatii Avatar 17 5,038 05-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aemilius Longinus