Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late roman mail shirt?
Salve!

I am planning of buying my first armour . What do you guys think, would this be a "okay" mail shirt for a late roman?
http://www.armae.com/surmesure/16promotionscadre.htm
It has semi-long sleeves, 8mm diameter riveted rings (I know it is not very "roman" to have all the rings riveted, but it`s durable for sure :wink: !) and it seems to be galvanized (is it possible to get the excessive shine away by vinegar etc?). So what do you people think? Would it be accurate enough for example for a 4th c. roman soldier?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Well jyrki, I have no idea. lol

Legion: TBD
its all up to you Smile

what do think is right? and what can you afford?

8mm isnt too bad. and it is riveted. if you look, most reenactors leave the galv on for storage issues, but it can be removed. (PLEASE READ ON HOW TO!!!! it can be very dangerous)

personally i think i may go with a round ring round rivet 8mm dia shirt myself for late roman. i can get one for under 200 usd and i will only wear it maybe once. ONCE!!! ahhhhhhh hehehehe the shirt i want is 425usd to be closer to correct, but for the extra 250 bucks i can have my BD roman kit almost finished Wink
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
I have one with butted rings, which is good enough for me. So yes, if the riveted rings look good enough - and some look like they just came from a faactory Confusedhock: - that will be fine.

But what I really learned from buying my first mail is this - NEVER BUY IN A HURRY.
I spent quite a bit of money and was duped by the seller (La Wrens Nest). Lucky for I was able to trade it with Theo, another member here. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks, guys!

Perhaps I will try to get that lamellar cuirass first...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
If you want "Roman" then don't get lamellar.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:If you want "Roman" then don't get lamellar.

Why not ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
I think there is plenty of evidence of lamellar armour all over the late roman world, not only from eastern provinces but also from Britain...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Virilis

what sort of lamellar are you going to go for ?
Conal Moran

Yoda
Conal, I would like to have a lamellar cuirass like in this picture. I know there are not any examples JUST like this and the roman lamellars which were found had more rounded edges etc. Anyway it is not completely out of the question as a late roman (3th-6th c.) armour in my opinion and furthermore it would also serve as an armour for my future byzantine/varangian impression too :wink: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I have seen something similar here

what do you think ?
Conal Moran

Yoda
Looking great, Conal! I have been drooling over these too, especially the black leather one, wow! Anyway at first I suggested here on RAT this metal lamellar which is in this page you sent. The problem was that it is too "late" for me or clearly byzantine due to the wideness of the lamellars Cry ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Picture of Dan Shadrake (Britannia) some years ago:
[Image: 023.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Around 12 litters of white vinegar, 8 hours. Do it OUTDOORS due to toxic gases! After that, clean the oxide and oil it.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Thanks for the advice, Favi! I will propably do it next summer in our country-house 8) ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Mail Shirt Breastplate Martin Moser 3 1,932 11-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Last Post: martijn.wijnhoven
  Late roman mail shirt? Virilis 18 3,348 01-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar