Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword ID
http://www.ripon.co.uk/history/history.html

1st Century BC Iron Age Sword discovered in 1993

Does anyone have any better pictures please or any other info on this one as it looks Roman but is too early for UK Roman involvement unless one of Ceasar's men dropped it :roll: ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Judging by the picture it looks to me like a republican era pommel and seems not as short as it appears. Perhaps a better pic would show it's broken or rusted away part way down.
The one sold by Armae looks identical to me.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
There are no contact details on the website, so cannot ask for picyure details :?
Conal Moran

Yoda
Salve,

I have found more info on it:

It is currently in the Harrogate Museum and Art Gallery. The details come from Ian Stead's 'British Iron Age Swords & Scabbards'.

An iron sword with a copper-alloy hilt. The hilt is made from two cast metal plates separated by a horn washer. The pommel is in the form of a human head: on the front a simple pointed oval shape with two hollows for eyes.

The scabbard has a copper-alloy front-plate and an iron back-plate. The front-plate has traces of engraved and punched decoration. It was withdrawn from a Sotherby's auction and sold to Harrogate museum in 1993.

Vale,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Thanks for that .

I am going to have to buy that book :?
Conal Moran

Yoda