Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cavalry Greaves?
Browsing through another thread here, I was drawn to a link to the LegioXX website. It's actually this Do Not Buy List.
My question is about the greaves shown toward the bottom, titled MRL greaves.
The description states that they are "Cavalry type with hinged knees, but not good fit on most people."

It appears that LegioXX's only problem with these is their size (and maybe the fact that they're cav. type). Is there any substance to these? If so, what time and location can they be placed in?

My understanding was the only reference to possible cavalry leg armor were the Sarmatian scale possibility (however slight it might be).
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Quote:My understanding was the only reference to possible cavalry leg armor were the Sarmatian scale possibility (however slight it might be).

There are many extant examples of hinged greaves for cavalry use, most of which are for Cavalry Sports. (hypikka Gymnasia)

The Straubing hoard is worth looking at.

I think what Matt was trying to point out on his website was that they would be unsuitable for first/second century infantry use.
Quote:Browsing through another thread here, I was drawn to a link to the LegioXX website. It's actually this Do Not Buy List.
My question is about the greaves shown toward the bottom, titled MRL greaves.
The description states that they are "Cavalry type with hinged knees, but not good fit on most people."

It appears that LegioXX's only problem with these is their size (and maybe the fact that they're cav. type). Is there any substance to these? If so, what time and location can they be placed in?

My understanding was the only reference to possible cavalry leg armor were the Sarmatian scale possibility (however slight it might be).

There is plenty of evidence for late Hellenistic Greek and Macedonian cavalrymen wearing greaves.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:There is plenty of evidence for late Hellenistic Greek and Macedonian cavalrymen wearing greaves.
Ah, but those are Greek, not true Romans, my friend. Just as I do not wish to portray a Sarmation, nor do I wish to portray a Greek. :wink: Big Grin

Quote:I think what Matt was trying to point out on his website was that they would be unsuitable for first/second century infantry use.

The Straubing hoard is worth looking at.
That's kind of what I was thinking too, along with them being the wrong size. Thanks for the reference to Straubing. I'm off to see what I can dig up on that, any chance of some online images to be found?
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Quote: Ah, but those are Greek, not true Romans, my friend. Just as I do not wish to portray a Sarmation, nor do I wish to portray a Greek.
What time period are you looking to do? Most of the "Roman" cavalry over the years were not, in fact, "true Romans."
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan