Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complete sword ban proposed in UK - UK residents only
Here is a copy of a letter I wrote to the relevant minister when the same thing was proposed in NSW. If I was writing it today, I would place more emphasis on the fact that swords are no longer weapons in today's society (i.e. no sword is made today with the intention of harming another person).

Dear Sir,

I am writing with concern for the proposed changes to NSW legislation in regards to sword ownership (as reported in the Herald Sun, 03/04/04).

My first concern is regarding compensation. My father has a significant collection of antique swords and bayonettes. When he had the collection evaluated the valuer estimated its total worth at around $100,000. Will he be awarded "market value" compensation for these? What measures will the government take to ensure that accurate valuations are made?

Secondly, there are many thousands of harmless replicas in the community. Many are cheap blades made of stainless steel designed to hang on the wall for decorative purposes. These so-called "samurai swords" are unable to hold an edge and liable to break even if simply swung through the air. Will the legislation affect these?

My third concern involves the definition of the word "sword". I have a friend who is involved in community theatre and regularly performs in Shakespearean plays. His company uses blunt stage weapons for mock combats. These objects have nothing more in common with a genuine sword than a bar of steel. Will these be affected by the legislation?

My fourth concern involves registration fees. In the above situation, the theatre company usually breaks one or two swords per month and regularly purchases replacements. Would this company be required to pay a registration fee for each weapon purchased? How would a non-profit organisation be expected to afford this?

Fifth, I am an historian who concentrates on researching weaponry and armour of various periods. I use this research to supplement my income with published articles and am in the process of writing a monograph. In addition to my personal collection of swords and armour I often borrow items from other collectors in order to study them. This research is also used to construct accurate historical reconstructions so that further study may be undertaken. How would the proposed legislation affect my livelihood?

Sixth. My family owns a large area of bushland in the Gloucester Tops region. In order to facilitate movement through some areas of this property it is essential for one to carry a machete. Will machetes be banned under the proposed legislation? If so, what alternative would the minister suggest for the controlled clearing of undergrowth in areas that are inaccessable to vehicles?

Seventh, according the the Herald Sun, the minister said, "I'm concerned about any weapon that can be sold out of car boots, at markets or shops." If this is true then why does the proposed legislation only cover swords? I assume that it will still be perfectly legal to purchase other weapons including axes, hachets, bill hooks, butchers cleavers, etc.

Eighth, the minister also implied that the weapons to be banned in the proposed legislation are used in violent crimes. Could the minister please provide evidence demonstrating that antiques, highland dancing swords, Olympic fencing swords, and theatre props have been used in these alleged crimes?

I understand the State Government's concern that swords could be used inappropriately, but there are tens of thousands of law-abiding people in the community who use and own swords. I fail to understand how banning these swords, and in doing so, a multitude of lawful and constructive activities will do anything to address your concern
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Messages In This Thread
save lives! - by Caius Fabius - 03-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Re: save lives! - by Cornelius Quintus - 03-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Re: save lives! - by Tarbicus - 03-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Re: Complete sword ban proposed in UK - UK residents only - by Dan Howard - 03-07-2007, 12:35 AM
Re: Complete sword ban proposed in UK - UK residents only - by Anonymous - 03-07-2007, 11:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proposed Centurion Pteryges Magnus 61 10,262 02-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Mithras