Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complete sword ban proposed in UK - UK residents only
Thanks for the link, Jasper. I would agree that a note of caution is as justified:

"...exceptions which will be included in the planned statutory instrument, will allow the sale of swords for legitimate uses to continue. Legitimate uses are stated to include:
Antique Collecting – the preservation of the past by many individual collectors in this country is often to the benefit of our museums and national heritage bodies.
Fencing – fencing swords are used in organised events across the UK and internationally;
Film, television and theatre – swords are frequently used as props in period dramas;
Manufacture – sword-smiths in Scotland manufacture swords, in some cases to extremely high specifications, involving traditional techniques and attracting international interest and renown;
Martial arts – swords are used in many martial arts organised on a national and international basis;
Re-enactment – re-enactment societies do much to bring significant aspects of Scotland’s history to life, using quality reproduction weapons"

The actual proposal has a focus on the vendors, i.e. a licensing scheme.

The figures:
"Detective Chief Superintendent Carnochan stated in evidence ...that:
“in 2004-05 there has been only one murder involving a sword. That is one too many, but we must put the situation in context. There have been four attempted murders and 23 serious assaults involving swords. Those are the crimes that have been reported ..."
(that will only be valid for Scotland itself, not the U.K.).

In my experience, however it is worthwhile both registering concern about the direction legislation is taking and forwarding reasonable views on the options. Whilst, in general, legislation is the product of a long process of expert knowledge applied to thorough consultation of public opinion, who knows what half witted promises will be made by power crazed pillocks in the run up to the next general election. If there is a reasoned concensus, it is harder to justify headline grabbing nonsense.

"The Consultation Paper suggested a number of options in relation to the sale of swords. For example: (a) including swords in the proposed licensing scheme for the sale of non-domestic knives; (b) only allowing swords to be sold to people who are members of a group with a legitimate interest in purchasing that type of sword (eg in relation to particular sports); © prohibiting the sale of swords (or of certain types of sword); and (d) requiring any person wishing to buy a sword to have a personal licence (similar to existing firearms legislation)."

I'd be interested in which options people think would be better for England. It might be useful to forward sensible opinions to your M.P.:

www.parliament.uk/

www.writetothem.com/

Just in case Big Grin
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~

Messages In This Thread
save lives! - by Caius Fabius - 03-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Re: save lives! - by Cornelius Quintus - 03-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Re: save lives! - by Tarbicus - 03-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Re: Complete sword ban proposed in UK - UK residents only - by Salvianus - 03-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Re: Complete sword ban proposed in UK - UK residents only - by Anonymous - 03-07-2007, 11:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proposed Centurion Pteryges Magnus 61 10,294 02-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Mithras