Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complete sword ban proposed in UK - UK residents only
Actually, it's not as clear cut as it sounds. The Bill hasn't been finalised and there are MP's trying to extend the ban to pretty much all swords. As it stands, £30K samurai historical swords will be banned, including ones being sold by Christies, etc, which many view (including professors of history) as works of art and a cultural heritage. It's a kneejerk measure, and there is absolutely no statistical evidence, only an occasional article in the press (anecdotal).

If the law is not clear on the exemptions for legitimate use, then it will be at the discretion of normal police officers.

As I said, mine are always under lock and key, which I view as a reasonable necessity. But the way legislation, and changes to it, can work in the UK there is every chance that it will end up as a blanket ban for the purpose of good press and political expediency.

addendum: Just to also explain that although the legislation is primarily focused on Scotland, the fact is that Scotland is often treated as a testbed for legislation to "see how it goes" first before being introduced into the rest of the UK. The gun ban has had no effect on gun crime, but only stopped our Olympic shooting teams from practicing. :roll:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Complete sword ban proposed in UK - UK residents only - by Tarbicus - 03-06-2007, 12:26 PM
save lives! - by Caius Fabius - 03-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Re: save lives! - by Cornelius Quintus - 03-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Re: save lives! - by Tarbicus - 03-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Re: Complete sword ban proposed in UK - UK residents only - by Anonymous - 03-07-2007, 11:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proposed Centurion Pteryges Magnus 61 10,296 02-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Mithras