Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vindonissa and other gladius scabbards
Does anyone have really good pics of the vindonissa scabbard or the other scabbard that shows Mars (I recall that the ESG had an interesting scabbard which I believe although I am not perfectly sure had Mars on it). I do not recall it where it is from. :?:

I have seen the Fulham sword and sword of Tiberius scabbards.

I just wanted to have a look at other scabbards.

If anyone has any pics, information (materials used and period) for either scabbard or both, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Paolo Big Grin D
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hello,

There are a lot of swords with Mars representation and more than one scabbard from Vindonissa. So , i'm not sure which one are you looking for.

Probably it's that one (The left one):

http://romancoins.info/b-2005-gladius1.JPG
http://www.exploratio.org/image_databas ... P5080b.jpg

It's a Mainz style scabbard with a metalic plates tinned showing Mars untined.

Reconstructed by the Ermine. A year ago at his web there were a link to some pictures of the reconstruction, but now is gone.

If i remember correctly the Gemina Project (Holland) have another nice reconstruction, but i have'nt found any picture at his web.
Thank you Cesar for the response. That is the Mars scabbard I was referring to. I hope there are better pics of and information regarding the materials, the construction and period.

I know that the ESG had a reconstruction of it but it is no longer on the website.

The vindonissa scabbard I am referring to is the one in Bishop and Coulston 2 book on page 81. It appears that the design in the middle of the scabbard has stars in it.

The other scabbard I was wondering about is the one that is similar to the Fulham scabbard except that the whole plate is present. This scabbard I am referring to is in the Rijksmuseum van Oudheden, Leiden, Netherlands. Michael Simikins has it in his book "Warriors of Rome" on page 72. Dan Petersons "Roman Legions recreated in color" has it on page 16 in front of the scutum to the right.

If anyone has any pics and information (materials, construction etc) on these scabbards I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My New Fulham / Vindonissa Gladius Pointer 4 3,492 03-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Gladius Vindonissa/Wiesbaden munazio planco 9 2,408 09-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Aalen and Vindonissa scabbards munazio planco 7 1,769 07-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat