Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twin Balteus and Apron
The excellent article by Mike Bishop on The Early Imperial "Apron" (JRMES 3 1992) indicates that the apron is connected to the pugio balteus by a rectangular plate in the case of Annaius Daverzus (and others):

[Image: imagebase_FirstnameAB_lg_AnnaiusDav.jpg]

Has anybody reconstructed an apron connection in this way, or seen a reconstruction using this method?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
There is a good one used by a member of the RMRS, with the legion number on it, you can see it on the site.

Mine is constructed in that manner too, if I understand you correctly, but uses three beltplates on the leather block formed by the apron.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hello.

I'm working in one, but stil unfinished. When ready, i'll post some pictures.
Gaius,

Is the "leather block" to which you refer part of the balteus leather or is it rivetted/stiched to the balteus?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
It's laced onto the belt, using leather ties. Will post a pic once I get one that is clear. ie, part of the apron
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Another way to attach the apron is to use the belt plate rivets to attach both the apron and some plates at the same time.

The rectangular plate you mention could also be small plates, one for each strap.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Cesar and Gaius,

Look forward to seeing the pictures - thanks for your help.

Tarbicus,

I have tried a search on this subject in the RAT archives but cannot seem to locate any photos of reconstructions of this particular arrangement. It seems to be quite a common arrangement in a lot of the stelae of the early Imperial period, and I thought more reenactors would actually be using the set up. Interesting thought about using more belt plates at the top of the apron. Is this conjecture or is there evidence for this?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Not sure about that, that was the way it came from Armillum, in spain.
Its republican, with narrowish plates,

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... 5110-1.jpg

Not the best image, will get a betterone shortly..... :oops:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Tarbicus,

I have tried a search on this subject in the RAT archives but cannot seem to locate any photos of reconstructions of this particular arrangement. It seems to be quite a common arrangement in a lot of the stelae of the early Imperial period, and I thought more reenactors would actually be using the set up. Interesting thought about using more belt plates at the top of the apron. Is this conjecture or is there evidence for this?

look for full length photos of Peronis.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Balteus Apron help, please Andy B 12 2,205 11-06-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Andy B
  Actual Balteus Buckle and Apron Terminus Construction Matt Lukes 25 7,374 02-15-2015, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Latinitas
  The Spacing Between Balteus Apron Straps? Gaius Colletti 3 1,581 10-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Last Post: 66kbm