Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glass Vase from Egypt with Gladiatorial Scenes
I found this vase while searching online, and I must say, I really like it. Gladiators are definitely not my specialty, but I found this piece very interesting nonetheless- both because of its nature and its liveliness.

http://arts.monash.edu.au/archaeology/e ... or-jug.pdf
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
It is simply stunning Big Grin

Laudes for the pdf link - very interesting.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Very interesting! Laudes from me, too!
Also, check out Plate 1 for what looks like an ancient bong shaped like a child's head Big Grin
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
A laudes from me, too. They remind me a bit of this glas piece which was presented at the lecture of Mary Beard at the amphitheater Conference in Chester. That very piece though is not shown in the pdf-File and unfortunately I do not know from which place her vase was, couldn't understand the name Cry
Very nice peice!!
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
Very nice article!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
This is the only depiction I have seen besides the Villa Borghese mosaic that shows secutors and retiarii of two different classes - "light" and "heavy" in the same games. The upper pair are of the newer "heavy" class: both wear the manica hamata, the secutor's helmet is multiply pierced for vision and air, and he wears padding and possibly ocrae on both legs. The other pair are of the traditional "light" class: fabric or leather manicae and the secutor's helm has only a single piercing for each eye. Whether he wears armor on his right leg is unclear. This is also the first definite evidence I have seen for gladiators wearing Hollywood-style studded leather. The belts and bits of the "light" manicae seem to feature this. Besides that, there are some unfamiliar moves depicted. One retiarius has lost or abandoned his trident and seems to be punching or shoving the secutor's shield aside to make an opening for his dagger. The other has caught the edge of the shield between prongs of his trident and is pushing it aside or trying to wrench it away. The artist here was extremely observant and knew the dynamics of real fights, instead of using conventionalized poses. Altogether a fascinating and rewarding work of art. Thank you for posting it.
Pecunia non olet
Hi John,

very well observed. Thank You for these interpretations. And I want to direct Your interest on the role of the summa rudis. In the lower example it seems to be so, that the retiarius' action was not within the rules and that the summa rudis is holding him back from further action with his stick. Or is he only pointing at the winner? What do You think?

On the upper duell the referee also points at the retiarius - but I am afraid we will never know about the meaning.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe